Best for Low End Power & Torque??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best for Low End Power & Torque??

I'm trying to find what setup would work the best to get more power & torque out of the motor at low & mid RPM's. My rig is pretty heavy (F250 LD X-cab 4x4) and I'm not looking for big gains at high RPM as it rarely sees anything past 4-4500 RPM. Only other mods i've got are the 1715 tuner (running 91 tow perf. program) and a drop-in K&N filter.

I'm more or less looking for a simple cat-back type system that's not all that loud (I drive 4 hours to LA at least twice a month) but.
From the reading i've done, the Magnaflow SISO system seems to be getting good ratings at what i'm looking for, but at $430 or so it's kinda pricey. Would it be as good to just get a muffler and have a local shop fab me up some 3" pipes from the muffler back? Is there another system that will give me some good power AND torque at lower revs? Any and all thoughts appreciated, thanks!!

Old 03-12-2004, 07:42 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Best for Low End Power & Torque??

Originally posted by CaliF250LD
From the reading i've done, the Magnaflow SISO system seems to be getting good ratings at what i'm looking for, but at $430 or so it's kinda pricey. Would it be as good to just get a muffler and have a local shop fab me up some 3" pipes from the muffler back? Is there another system that will give me some good power AND torque at lower revs?
I would say the Magnaflow or Borla provide the most power and cost about the same. If you want to save money, get a 3" SISO straight through design muffler and the Magnaflow pre-bent tail pipe #15028. Add a tip if you'd like. That would be closer to $175-200 for materials and to have a shop install it. Keep in mind the systems are stainless steel vs custom bent stuff is most likely aluminized. I generally don't recommend for people to have a local shop custom bend exhaust if they care about performance. The local guys may have a lot of experience, but they have no feedback. They don't dyno test their designs to determine what is best. That's what you pay for with a full cat-back system. R&D to find the best design, then make it repeatable on an assembly line instead of the uniqie variations from vehicle to vehicle that custom exhaust people do.

I first recommend contacting :

performancepeddler@mail.com
Your Performance Parts Supplier
1-866-399-4215

They selll the Magnaflow system a little cheaper than that anywhere else I have seen. Also, cheap component pricing too.

While you are working on the exhaust, I also recommend replacing the factory Y-pipe. It is a very poor design and people have been impressed with the increase in power, but I haven't seen any dyno results from that change only.

Quick Reply: Best for Low End Power & Torque??