backpressure/power loss with cat-back

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2001, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post backpressure/power loss with cat-back

i was talking with my dad(former top fuel dragster driver) and he was telling me exactly why backpressure is needed. as most of you know it is because there is a small time when both the intake and exhaust valves are open and the back pressure helps pull in air and fuel into the intake.

would adding a K and N filter and a throttle body spacer make it easier for air to get into the cylinder and thus eliminate a need for so much backpressure?
TIA

Old 04-09-2001, 08:16 PM
im not positive, but i would have to say that even though they will bring more air into the engine, it will not reduce the amount of backpressure needed so you dont lose power. just installing a cat-back exhaust won't make you lose too much backpressure on your truck, though. what kind of truck are we talking about here (year, engine)?

------------------
1989 F-150 XLT Lariat: 2WD 302 5spd[*]Performance Accessories 3" Body Lift[*]33x12.50.15 BFG on 15x10 AR Rims[*]Rancho Steering Stabilizer[*]Rancho RS 5000 Shocks[*]K&N Air Filter[*]Straight Pipes For Now...

Muffler? I don't need no stinkin' muffler!

Old 04-14-2001, 09:33 PM
When don't you need back pressure? When your engine is suprcharged!

You are correct, but the cats are the most restrictive part of your exhaust, so a cat back will not make you lose any "power" (you lose low end torque, not horsepower).

Get the K&N and the cat back exhaust.

------------------
95 SC Auto (300hp, 350 ft #s)
Ninja 1000 (0-60 in 4secs)
01 F250 Auto (Stock. So far.....MUAHAHAHA)

Quick Reply: backpressure/power loss with cat-back