I just want a change in sound, w/o losing torque

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2000, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I just want a change in sound, w/o losing torque

Vehicle is '99 f150 4x4 SC 5.4L. I have looked through the postings but would like your help on this specific deal. Some say it isnt worth JUST changing out the muffler. I would like good medium sound, more when I get on it, should I just leave the 'Y'? Go off there with what diameter pipe and what muffler without losing low end? Flow 40? One in, two out? thanks in advance for the info, any insight would be great.
JR

Old 03-29-2000, 09:21 PM
I put a flowmaster 50 on mine, and it feels a little quicker now. I just changed the muffler, and kept the factory pipe. Going with the 3" pipe, you might lose some torque.
the 40 series is lound (good loud) inside and out. the 50 series has a mellower sound, but still has the deep throaty sound to it. It's not as loud in the inside, but you can still hear it.

------------------
2000 White F-150 Sport 4.2L 5-speed,3.55 gears
MODS: K&N, Flowmaster 50 series.
superstang97@yahoo.com

Ford vs Chevy
www.fordvschevy.com
Moderator: Road Kill, Mustang vs F-bodies. We also have a Ford VS GM/Chevy Truck forum

Old 03-30-2000, 11:28 PM
fakefvc,
Thanks a lot for the info. I believe I will just go with the 50 series. Sounds like thats the one to have. Probably keep the factory pipe too, like you did. thanks again.

Old 03-31-2000, 12:15 AM
Cool

Wondering if anyone has a 4.6 with the 50 recorded (or if anyone could record thiers). I've been looking around the sight and can't seem to find. I have the Airraid and my chip should get here tomorrow. Exhaust is next. I think I had the 70 on my 95 5.8 and it was pretty mellow. Just wondering how different the 50 is.

------------------
97 4x with a fixed crack and a thumping bed

Old 03-31-2000, 12:19 AM
Don't have a record of it, but my friend who has a 98 4.6l has the 50 series, and it sounds good!!!! Sounds really good when punching it, and is quiet when it hits 70+mph.
He let me drive it, and I loved it!!! SOunds way better the the 50 on my truck.

Flowmaster's homepage has the diffrences, and sound diffrences between the series on their web page.

------------------
2000 White F-150 Sport 4.2L 5-speed,3.55 gears
MODS: K&N, Flowmaster 50 series.
superstang97@yahoo.com

Ford vs Chevy
www.fordvschevy.com
Moderator: Road Kill, Mustang vs F-bodies. We also have a Ford VS GM/Chevy Truck forum

Old 03-31-2000, 10:00 PM
Cool

Something to keep in mind is that when you install a Superchip the tone of the exhaust changes as a result of the timing advance. Even when I was running stock exhaust it snarled just a bit more. Keep that in mind when you compare the sound of a 40 or 50 series - is the truck chipped or not?

Tom in Tacoma

(mine is a 50 series and I love it)

------------------
1998 F150 XLT S/C 4.6L Auto, 3.55LS, 4X2, Moonlight Blue, all the factory bells & whistles except for leather seats. Lund Deflector, Lund Premier Tonneau, K&N, Body-color painted Throttle Cover, blue wire-looms, Pentaliner S/R, Window tint, factory side-steps, Infiniti component speakers up front, Polk Audio speakers in back, Superchip, Flowmaster 'Delta-Flow' w/ 3" pipe, Clear turn signal lenses. Next up - billet grill. Tom in Tacoma (Washington not Toyota)
Go check out http://communities.msn.com/SS97FordsPics for the second best website for F150's

Old 04-01-2000, 09:05 AM
Thanks for all of the replies, this helps out big time. Tom, I dont have a chip yet, hoping to find one in the classifieds here on the board, if not I will get one from Mike. I had no idea, or I never took into account the timing advance, thus the change in sound. Thanks!

Quick Reply: I just want a change in sound, w/o losing torque