Excursion

Real-World milage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Real-World milage?

What kind of mileage are you guys getting with the exc?...I am particularly interested in the PSD motor...

Thanks,

T

Old 01-19-2002, 09:43 PM
Diesel mileage largely depends on two variables:

1.) Climate

2.) Diesel fuel quality

I live in Minnesota, the temperatures are in the 'teens now, so this means extra warm-up time in the mornings. No big deal, but it takes its toll on the mileage after an entire winter of doing it. Also, with the Powerstrokes, there's an exhaust backpressure valve that will activate when it is cold. The engine will rev a little higher and will warm up quicker with this active, but it also reduces fuel economy because your engine must work harder to force exhaust by it. Once the PSD is at the normal operating temp, the EBV deactivates. This "feature" produces a rather bizarre "whooshing" sound from your exhaust, particularly if you have an aftermarket exhaust sytem like I do. It is really loud and sounds like a 747 when you are up next to it. The exhaust brakes out on the market utilitze the EBV to produce the extra resistance against the engine so that people towing heavy loads can benefit from this valve and use the engine (along with their brakes) to help slow them downs or maintain a steady speed going down steep grades.

Diesel fuel quality largely depends on what type of weather there is in your region. Diesel fuel gels at cold temperatures. In the winter time, fueling stations will offer both types of diesel (Diesel #1 and Diesel #2). Diesel #1 is a blended fuel that has additives for cold weather so your fuel doesn't gel up. Diesel #2 is what you run in warmer areas. Diesel #2 produces by far the best mileage. There are different variations of "premium" diesel out there, but at the higher prices, I have not found a power or mileage increase over straight #2 diesel fuel.

Winter time mileage is in the 13-14 range both city and highway. The blended fuel really hurts mileage.

During the warmer months, I see 15-16 city and 16-17 in the highway. The further under 2000 rpms you can keep the engine, the better mileage you'll get. The general consensus seems to be that the further over 2000 rpm you go, the faster your mile-per-gallon ratio will drop. Keep in mind that diesels redline at 3200 rpm. If you're not familiar with diesels, seeing a 4k tach is a little weird at first.

At 75mph, you'll be in the 2200 rpm range assuming you're running standard 265/75R16 tires. I see 16 mpg easily during the warmer months.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by erlong; 01-19-2002 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-20-2002, 10:32 AM
Cool Thanks!

Thanks for the great reply, erlong!

I am over in Robbinsdale, where are you?

One thing that I wonder is, how much better off are you really by going with the PSD? It seems that lately gas and diesel prices around here have been pretty similar. I get 12.5 MPG in the expie right now, regardless of how I drive, and how long I let the truck warm up. Not real good, but then again, it IS a gas engine.

As far as the Excursion is concerned, I have heard that the PSD is the way to go, but it sounds like the mileage is about the same from PSD to gas in these, is this true?

How about acceleration, any thoughts there?

I have heard that a propane injection system helps mileage and power...Thoughts?

Thanks a ton,

T

Old 01-21-2002, 12:02 AM
I have owned two Powerstrokes (this is my 2nd) and have had two gasser's (Bronco and an F150). Mileage of a gasser does not compare to that of a diesel, nor does the pulling power. During the winter months it's closer, but there is just no way for the 5.4 to compete with the 7.3L in terms of mileage or power. If you are towing, you will definitely see better mileage with the diesel as well. The PSD just keeps going and going.

The PSD also comes with a 100,000 mile warranty. This warranty transfers from owner to owner, too. A friend of mine has an F150 with the 5.4L and a Superchip. He now has to run 92 octane fuel in his truck which is considerably more expensive than diesel fuel. My last fillup of diesel was $1.09. Even with my chip I still run the same diesel fuel and see a much bigger gain in power than he does.

I have a 330HP/700 ft-lb torque chip. I have not gotten it dynoed so the real-world numbers are obviously lower. For fun, I raced my friend with the Superchip'd F150 and I beat him. Keep in mind that my Excursion weighs in at about 8,000 lbs with a full tank and 1 person in it. I would gladly challenge you to a race or towing contest if you are interested in learning about the PSD's power!

I will never own another full-size truck with a gas engine in it. The PSD is just too good.

Propane kits are available for the PSD and they help with mileage, but the trade-off is what you pay for propane. I think it's pretty much a wash. The power increase is absurd. An additional 100HP at the rear wheels is very common. It is something I would like to eventually have, but I have a '67 Galaxie that needs attention this spring/summer. I've got an extended warranty on the "X" and would rather stick with the basic bolt-on stuff to avoid any major problems or hassles. Plus, it's my daily driver so I don't like taking it out of commission for too long.

BTW, I'm in Minnetonka.

Old 01-21-2002, 04:08 PM
erlong,

That's the most honest answer I've heard from a PSD Excursion owner for mileage. I have the V-10 in a 4WD and highway mileage at 75 mph is 13.5 in the winter(Michigan) and 14.5 in warmer weather. Pure stop and go on surface streets yields 10 in cold weather and 11 in warm weather. This past weekend I was using 4wd alot(lake snow) and still averaged 13 mpg over 700 miles. I'm looking forward to the new 6L PSD and the mileage it will get. Combined with the new 5 speed auto maybe we will see consistent 20+ mpg on the open road. I always kind of envy the diesel owners but the V-10 runs pretty darn good after breaking it in. Now at 32k miles, never a problem. Burns about 1/2 qt over 6000 miles.

Old 01-23-2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by 390GT
erlong,

That's the most honest answer I've heard from a PSD Excursion owner for mileage. I have the V-10 in a 4WD and highway mileage at 75 mph is 13.5 in the winter(Michigan) and 14.5 in warmer weather. Pure stop and go on surface streets yields 10 in cold weather and 11 in warm weather. This past weekend I was using 4wd alot(lake snow) and still averaged 13 mpg over 700 miles. I'm looking forward to the new 6L PSD and the mileage it will get. Combined with the new 5 speed auto maybe we will see consistent 20+ mpg on the open road. I always kind of envy the diesel owners but the V-10 runs pretty darn good after breaking it in. Now at 32k miles, never a problem. Burns about 1/2 qt over 6000 miles.
I think where you get your fuel from has a lot to do with it. I'm not sure what they put in the diesel fuel in some states, but some people are getting 18+ consistently, others over 20. My best was 17.5 on a trip down to Texas from Minnesota. I didn't do anything differently other than fill up at a station in Kansas. Since then, I have not seen those types of numbers...been up to 16.8, but just can't break the 17.0 barrier.

I agree that the new diesels will definitely be interesting. I'm not sure what to expect from the 5 speed automatic tranny. I'm sure it will have a very low first gear like the 6 speed manuals do in the current PSD's. I am interested in better highway mileage. The name escapes my mind, but you can buy (for a pretty hefty price) something that'll give you the effect of doubling the number of gears. It's a concept called gear splitting. It gives you a second overdrive...nothing you would be able to tow in, but the RPM's drop to below 2,000 and you can imagine the mileage you'd get with PSD then. Easily in the 20's. However, I am not interested in putting something else inline with the drivetrain. It will give you extra gears, but will rob some torque because of the extra "stuff" that must turn in order to deliver the power to the wheels. Either way, it's an interesting concept.

These are great rigs, aren't they.

Quick Reply: Real-World milage?