Door Ajar/Dome/Bed Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Door Ajar/Dome/Bed Light

I've read thru the posts and don't see anything about these quirks. I've had my F150 since Dec 96 and just love it. BUT, I've had some little things that are becoming quite a nuisance.

Recently turned 100,000 and took it to my mechanic for service. The "check engine" light came on the dash. After running diagnostics, he found 2 error codes, one indicating a short in the door that controls domelite and "door ajar" idiot lite on dash.

And now, the dome light will NOT turn off, nor will the driver side bed light just behind the cab turn off. My mechanic says they've both been ON for 30 min! The passenger side bed lite comes on intermittently and I've just given up on those ever working again.

While the truck was still under warranty, I did have an electrical problem and they had to rewire everything. I lost all lites inside the truck.

Any idea how much getting the short in the door might cost and is this something my husband can do -- he works with electrical stuff.

Boni

Old 11-21-2002, 08:33 AM
Welcome to the boards.

It's always nice to be able to help someone with the same problem that brought me here. Your problem with door ajar/interior lights not going out is very common, the good thing is the fix could be free if you have a can of WD-40 or Carb/Choke cleaner in you garage.

The switch that controls the interior lights is in the door latch and it gets gummed up with stuff causing the switch to indicate open even when the door is closed. Take the WD-40 and spray it in the latch, don't be stingy-some people have had to shoot so much in that it runs out the weep holes at the bottom of the door. After it is juiced up open and close the doors half a dozen times.

I have never heard of anyone who didn't have success doing this-I did it once 6 months ago and the problem never came back. Good luck, and tells us how it turned out.

Old 11-27-2002, 04:56 AM
I was just sold a door ajar switch by the Ford service station after a diagnostics check. I have now taken the door panel off and just saw this post.

I am going to try your trick and see if I got scammed.

I have the same exact problems

Old 12-11-2002, 10:42 PM
this is exactly one of the problems i came here for also. EXACTLY! i cant thank you guys enough. oh and my wife thanks you also.

Last edited by wifestruck; 12-11-2002 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-12-2002, 05:39 PM
all you have to do is ask!!...very common and very easily fixed!!!!!!!!

Old 12-12-2002, 06:49 PM
just wanted to let everyone know it worked like a charm and problem is solved.

my wife and i thank you very,very much.

Old 01-01-2003, 07:17 PM
door ajar light

This website solved that problem for me too !!!

About a year ago I was having that same problem and was going nuts trying to figure out what was wrong.

I even went as far as pulling out the bulbs in the cargo lamp and dome lamp.

I had a mechanic look all over the place for a short.

The whole time I was just a few mouse clicks away from a simple answer !!!!

I generously sprayed WD-40 into the lock mechanism and havent had the problem for about a year.

Old 01-09-2003, 03:27 PM
I just followed your advice and magically it worked. I had been stressing over this problem for the last 2 years. This was the first problem I've ever had on my 98'. What bothered me the most is that it seemed like it only happened when it was raining... I finally decided to take care of it, on this bright and shiny day. This site rocks!!! thanks, Eric

Old 01-11-2003, 08:21 PM
I've noticed this several times over the last month. Thanks guys I'm going to give this a shot.

Old 01-15-2003, 04:04 AM
One more thanks for the great forum. I registered a couple of days ago and today my '97 decided that the doors were open while going down the road. I had heard (while reading the posts a couple of weeks ago) that this is a common F-150 problem. Came on tonight and just like magic, problem solved. Thanks again.

Bob

Old 01-20-2003, 12:58 PM
Smile Door Ajar

Thanks for the info. This was driving me insane. I always assumed it was a stuck switch or relay. I couldn't find the door switch. Nice to know wher it is now. I have a F550 with the same problem. I'm headed to the shop to lube switch and change burn't bulbs. Thanks Folks!!!!

Old 01-28-2003, 11:51 AM

I had the same problem on my97 and WD cleared it right up! Thanks again!

Old 01-28-2003, 11:58 AM
My 98 did that and i had to leave my interior light on all night and even all day at school till i figured out that WD-40 in the door jamb works. I even got a 280 dollar quote from the dealer to rewire the whole cab and put new switches/bulbs in to fix the problem. psh screw that. try the wd40 then post what happens

Old 01-29-2003, 03:18 PM
This has been driving me nuts for about a year. I didn't want to take my truck in because anything electrical can cost some $$. I'm going to WD up tonight and see if the light goes off. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-01-2003, 11:26 PM
WD 40 worked like a charm. Now I can drive in the dark. Thanks dude.

Quick Reply: Door Ajar/Dome/Bed Light