Factory Alarm goes off by itself

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Factory Alarm goes off by itself

I have a 1998 F150 Super Cab and the alarm goes off by itself one to two times a day. The dealer can't or won't tell me the reason why but attributes it to dirty conections (Hard to believe). Has anyone experienced this problem and if so what was the outcome?

Old 11-19-2002, 09:12 PM
try spraying some WD-40...

into the door catch area to free up the switch in that area...i bet it's gummed up and is losing contact periodticly(SIC)

Old 11-19-2002, 10:37 PM
also check the key cyl. sw. with key in ign. and door open does the buzzer make noise. and if so. can you wiggle the key around and make the buzzer stop. without takeing key out. or with the key out can you wiggle the sw bezel and make the buzzer come on. if so that contact in there gets dirty and will cause that. good luck.

Old 11-20-2002, 01:44 PM
Thanks guys I will try your suggestions

TP

Old 11-21-2002, 01:09 PM
Did you find the problem?

My truck does this all the time too, mostly when the weather is colder. No other symptoms of failing door switch, etc. Sometimes it's 4 am, sometimes minutes after pulling in the driveway, sometimes in the afternoon at work.

Any way to disable the alarm? I thought I'd found it didn't arm when you used the lock plungers on the door manually, as the theft light doesn't light...but no good, still getting alarms.

HELP! Neighbors are getting pissed. It's happened since the first fall I owned the truck and dealer service can't find the problem.

TIA for any and all info,
-Woovis-

Old 11-21-2002, 01:52 PM
This is probably off the wall, but my 2 meter mobile ham radio(144-148 mhz) running ~200 watts used to set off a lot of alarms.

I used to drive down an long aisle in the parking lot at work on the way out and would sometimes set off 6 of them at once if I used the radio in the parking lot. Almost all GM products.

$.02

Old 11-25-2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Woovis
Did you find the problem?

My truck does this all the time too, mostly when the weather is colder. No other symptoms of failing door switch, etc. Sometimes it's 4 am, sometimes minutes after pulling in the driveway, sometimes in the afternoon at work.

Any way to disable the alarm? I thought I'd found it didn't arm when you used the lock plungers on the door manually, as the theft light doesn't light...but no good, still getting alarms.

HELP! Neighbors are getting pissed. It's happened since the first fall I owned the truck and dealer service can't find the problem.

TIA for any and all info,
-Woovis-

Old 11-25-2002, 12:28 PM
Time to get a real alarm.

Old 11-25-2002, 12:31 PM
Woovis,
I hear you! All the same has happened to me as well. I have looked into the ignition switch, but no problems there. So in order to sleep through the night I have manually locked the doors and this does not trigger the alarm system. As long as no one decides to steel my truck I'll be fine, but if they do it should be easy to hear

TP

Old 12-04-2002, 09:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dealership can use their diagnostic tool to pull the last 8 alarm events from the Remote Anti-Theft module. This will indicate to them exactly which switch is malfunctioning and causing the alarm to go off.

Old 12-11-2002, 09:56 AM
Exclamation

Unfortunately, according to a couple of dealers I've asked, the '98 doesn't record alarm events. If someone knows different please post...

I too took to locking the doors manually, and while the "Theft" light in the dash does not light, the alarm has still sounded a couple of times but not recently. I was very surprised by that.

I'm still looking for info on this problem, and to see if there is a way to pull a fuse or something to disable the alarm until a solution is found.

Thanks,
-Woovis-

Old 01-30-2003, 05:25 PM
Woovis,

This has got to be a fluke, but my original key faub (4 years old)finally fell apart. I located my extra key faub and since I have been using it the problem has gone away. It sounds unbelievable but it's true. I live in California and we have had weather ranging from 40's at night to 70's in the day and it has not gone off for months now.

Good Luck,
Tony Panelli

Old 01-30-2003, 11:05 PM
alarm

the 8 alarm events should be there but you have to lie to the ngs a tell it that it is a 98 taurus that you are working on. dealer should know this.

Old 03-29-2004, 05:19 PM
I finally found a dealer willing to try that, and set the NGS to a '98 Taurus.

The codes he found were IGNITION TAMPER and PANIC.

I assume the PANIC may be from my using the panic button on the fob to shut the dern thing up.

What does IGNITION TAMPER mean?

I still lock the doors manually to avoid theft system activation but the alarm still goes off for no reason. I've never found a way to disable the alarm or cure this problem.

Any thoughts before it drives us all crazy?

Thanks in advance,
-Woovis-

Old 02-01-2006, 04:44 PM
i contacted the ford motor company itself and they said theyve never heard of this problem before. noone has reported this problem to them. i think if everyone contacts them about the problem maybe something will be done. ive had mine into the dealership where i bought it 3 times and still have the problem.let me know if you find out anything.

Quick Reply: Factory Alarm goes off by itself