2009 Platinum Power Driver Seat, Mirror, Peddles, and Tilt Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Platinum Power Driver Seat, Mirror, Peddles, and Tilt Not Working

My first post after just recently purchasing a "new-to-me" 2009 Platinum, been dying for a truck for a while and so pumped to be back in an F-150!

Now for the fun part, previous owner tells me that the driver seat hasn't been working for a while, was previously blowing fuses (I believe it was #12) but has since stopped working and now no blown fuse anywhere. (I have seen the many posts of people fixing a similar issue on 04-08 models by finding the poor connection of the orange w/ green strip wire on the passenger side kick panel, unfortunatly that is not the fix in this model it seems as I can't locate that wire) The driver's seat, power mirrors, tilt wheel and peddles all are not working, the power lumbar IS working. Thanks to SSCULLY posting a wiring diagram many years ago I was able to isolate that the lumbar doesn't run through the Driver Seat Module (DSM) while all of these other functions do run through the DSM.

Found that I'm getting power on the white w/ red stripe wire going into the switch so suspected that the DSM was my issue since the switch has power and the lumbar function is working. Purchased a new DSM, hooked it up today and I was disappointed to find that I still have no function. Not sure where to go from here other than unbolting the seat to get under and evaluate every single wire for a damaged wire (the seat is stuck on lowest and furthest back setting so hard to get very good access at this point). Any advice would be appreciated!

Old 10-27-2018, 08:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
The only thing I can think of since the fuse isn't blowing any more is either the wiring is toast now, or there is a relay that is now stuck in a closed state.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to give a follow up to hopefully help someone else in the future, thankfully I was able to fix the issue! I did have to remove the bolts and tilt the driver's seat back to allow better visibility and working space.

I stumbled across this chat conversation with a Ford mechanic helping a guy with the exact same problems and it ended up being clutch:

https://www.justanswer.com/ford/7vbt...BoCH2IQAvD_BwE

Like in the conversation linked, I found that the violet w/ red stripe wire going into the first connector of the Driver Seat Module was hot and the blue w/red stripe wire in the second connector was not hot (although it was supposed to be). I also found a spot on this same wire (blue/red) with significant wear and show-through from rubbing on the above motor (there was also evidence on the motor casing where it appeared to have arced with the exposed wire at some point - I'm assuming this is what caused the initial blowing of the fuse and eventual lack of power on this wire all together?). Anyways.... I used a jump wire from the hot wire in the first connector (violet/red) to the blue/red wire of the second connector and just like the guy in the above conversation I had full function of all electronic (mirrors, tilt, seat and peddles!!). I stripped a small area of wire in the middle of the hot wire to attach the "jump wire" and spliced the other end into the middle of the blue/red wire. Used some shrink tubing and electrical tape to clean it all up, re-installed the seat and everything is working great! I'm still not sure what the source of the loss of power to the blue/red wire is, all fuses that are associated with the seats that I have found are not blown and have power. The only thing I can think of is if there is a random in-line fuse somewhere that has blown that I'm not aware of or just that the wire is damaged somewhere else further down stream that I haven't been able to locate. Sorry for being so wordy, just hoped this would help someone else one day if they end up with the same problem on their 09-14. Let me know if this is supper confusing and I can help explain better.

I've tried to attach a photo, if it worked you'll see the white wire is the jump wire going from the violet wire to what appears to be a red wire (which is just shrink tubing on the blue/red wire)

Quick Reply: 2009 Platinum Power Driver Seat, Mirror, Peddles, and Tilt Not Working