Trailer Lights Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer Lights Not Working

No brake lights nor turn signals to my trailer. Is that a simple fix? What fuses do I check? How do I check trailer wires for continuity?

Old 03-02-2018, 03:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
You can check it with a DVM.

Here's cheap one: https://www.harborfreight.com/7-func...ter-98025.html

Sometimes HF gives them out free with coupons. I have a bunch of them, including one in every vehicle.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:57 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
SuperCab - I moved your posts to their own thread, since it doesn't concern truck lights.

You MAY have a fault in the wiring to your trailer plug in your truck. With the ignition on, check for voltage at the brake light pin on the truck's plug when you apply the brakes. Do the same with the turn signal pins in that plug while activating the turn signals.

The trailer wiring to your brake and turn signal lighting is normally NOT fused. You COULD have broken wires, but they are separate circuits and I would not expect this.

- Jack

Old 03-02-2018, 09:24 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
On my 03, there *ARE* separate fuses for trailer stop and turn lamps. One for left and one for right.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:10 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
GLC - I was not clear in my post. I believe you are talking about fuses in your truck for those circuits. I agree, the truck turn and brake signal system IS normally fused and that could be the OP's problem.

My comment about turn and brake system wiring not being fused was referring to the trailer wiring only. I don't think there are additional fuses in the trailer between the plug and the lights. There certainly aren't in mine. Since the power for those lights comes from the truck, there's no need for separate trailer fuses.

- Jack

Quick Reply: Trailer Lights Not Working