Extended battery disconnect harmful?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended battery disconnect harmful?

Hi,

What with the rash of stolen vehicles here (27 a day), I need to protect my truck while on vacation. My idea is to install one of these
https://www.amazon.com/Post-Battery-Master-Disconnect-Switch/dp/B001N729FS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1499172342&sr=8-3&keywords=Top+Post+Battery+Master+Disconnect+Switch https://www.amazon.com/Post-Battery-Master-Disconnect-Switch/dp/B001N729FS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1499172342&sr=8-3&keywords=Top+Post+Battery+Master+Disconnect+Switch
and a Battery Tender pigtail that I already have that I can hide. That way I can supply 12V to unlock the doors when I get back after a couple of weeks.

My question is, could I cause damage by protecting my truck using this method? I know the ECU will be reset, no big deal.

Thanks, Rick

Old 07-04-2017, 09:39 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Hello Rick. I can't think of any problems a prolonged battery disconnect will cause.

Don't you have a key entry on the driver's door? I'd test your idea of using the battery tender to supply door opening voltage before relying on it in two weeks. Make sure the battery disconnect you are planning to use does not also disable power from the Battery Tender to the truck's electrical system.

You'll have to reset the clock and radio presets, of course.

- Jack

Old 07-04-2017, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Don't you have a key entry on the driver's door?
- Jack
Thanks Jack

My door keys were punched twice in the 17 years I've owned the truck so last time I replaced the handles with rear Expedition handles that don't have a key hole. I just use the fob for entry now.

Rick

Old 07-04-2017, 10:27 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I used to disconnect the battery in my 95 Mark VIII Lincoln for up to 6 weeks at a time when I was gone with no problems. It did have the OBDI computer system though. I was afraid the battery would drain while I was gone. Eventually I quit doing it because there wasn't enough battery drain to cause problems.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:27 AM
Originally Posted by Roadie
I used to disconnect the battery in my 95 Mark VIII Lincoln for up to 6 weeks at a time when I was gone with no problems. It did have the OBDI computer system though. I was afraid the battery would drain while I was gone. Eventually I quit doing it because there wasn't enough battery drain to cause problems.
Ok, thanks....looks like I'll be OK then.