Help! Codes P0136, P1131 and P1151

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Codes P0136, P1131 and P1151

Hello all,
Sorry for the lengthy story, but I believe you need to know the history to help me.
I have a 1997 E150 Econoline Club Wagon conversion van, 5.4.
Was traveling from West Virginia to Florida over the weekend.
Got to Daytona beach Sunday evening. Drove around Daytona Sunday evening and everything was OK.
Monday morning left Daytona for Kissimmee.
Noticed speedometer and odometer (analog) was not working.
Got on the interstate, and no cruise.
Stopped in Orlando to have it checked out.
Noticed it start missing and quitting and shifting funky.
It ran OK out on the interstate but give me fits in town.
Took it to two transmission shops and neither could work on it.
They did say it was electrical and the miss would be associated to the speedometer and cruise not working.
Thought I would try and drive on into Kissimmee, 60 miles, to the campground we are staying at and go from there.
Got here OK, but it continued missing and quitting, etc, around town. Ran better on the interstate.
Did some online research Monday.
I got an Actron Pocket Scan Plus and pulled the codes.
P0500, P1131, P0171, P0174, P0705, P0708 and P1151.
The P0171 and P0174 I have had for a lont time, but the van ran OK.
Came up with the VSS malfunctioning.
First thought it was the sensor on the rear end and pulled it out and cleaned it up. It had some metal buildup on the magnet, but cleaned up OK. Put it back and tried it, no change.
Then came across the real culprit. The VSS on the upper tail, drivers side of the transmission.
Pulled it. The bolt was loose that held it in. Found the plastic gear that slides over the end of the shaft had teeth worn off on one side about 2/3 of the way back. Put it back in and tightened the bolt as much as I could, I think it had stripped out the aluminum in the transmission. It would snug up but not get real tight. Went to get a new sensor and noticed on the way the speedometer and cruise started working OK. But still missing and quitting, though acted different. Seems to be shifting better when I can keep it running. Ran OK on the highway, just give me fits around town.
The new VSS did not come with the plastic wheel and clip that holds it on the shaft. We searched for the part in their database, but could not find it.
Since the speedomoter is now working, I am thinking the old wheel will work for a while. Installed the new sensor at the parts store, disconnected positive post of battery for a couple minutes. Drove back to campground
still missing.
Pulled codes again and got a new one. P0136, along with P1131 and P1151.
Took yesterday off.
Starting back on it this morning.
From some research, the P0136 indicates a possible connection on one of the Oxygen sensors.
Maybe I knocked some thing loose and going to check that first thing.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Denver

Quick Reply: Help! Codes P0136, P1131 and P1151