Major Electrical Issues After Head Unit Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major Electrical Issues After Head Unit Install

My 2007 F150 Lariat SCrew was working fine except for the 6-CD Changer. So, I tried to install a Pioneer Head Unit/Steering Wheel Controls and a Rear View Camera last weekend. Double checked the Metra Harness and Axxess wiring - looks to be right. First thing I noticed was no sound. Put the Ford Head Unit back in - no sound (Pulled it back out). I noticed that I created other "Features" - I'm guessing I pulled or shorted something and need a hand narrowing it down. I did move all of the seats all the way back. I pulled up all of the Sill trim - the driver's side was full of water and the back carpet was wet (It was parked head-up hill). I pulled the plug and drained it. I'll deal with that later...

So now, the issues:
1 - No rear taillights, no license plate lights.
2 - Fuel Gage reads empty - dash tells me I have low fuel
3 - Compass doesn't work
4 - Seat Heaters and Mirror Heaters don't work
5 - Airbag Light is on - solid, no code flashes.
6 - Pedals don't move
7 - High Beams don't work
8 - With the lights on, Reverse kills the engine (lights off, no problem)

I'm sure there's more, but I was hoping this was enough to go on. I checked all of the fuses - all good (mini's by ohmmeter, cartridge fuses by inspection). I did have to pull on the harness behind the radio to get to the connector off the back of the radio and I probably pulled on the airbag harness that goes to the light in the middle of the dash, but I checked and they both look OK as far as I can tell. All of the wires in the Metra harness seem to be hot when they are supposed to. I don't see any obvious damage where I spliced in (Bk-Pink Wire in Driver's footwell and at back-up lamp, G-R wire at Parking brake, my ground uses the Bk-Lt Blue ground lug in the foot well - I didn't splice this - I added a ring terminal). I did have to move 2 unused pins to the #18 and 19 slots for the steering wheel control.

I appreciate any help you can give me - I'm feeling lost in a sea of wires...

Old 02-06-2016, 06:21 PM
Anyone know what connector C238 has going through it - that's the one with the bolt in it in the driver's kickpanel? When I jiggled the wires behind it, the taillights flickered on. I'm wondering if all of my problems go through that connector. Looks like it might have been loose. I pulled the whole thing apart to see what's behind it. It looks like the E-Brake cable was pushing some other wires into the floorboard and some stinkbugs died up in there.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:54 PM
Problems Resolved!
I bolted it back in and everything works now, including the Airbag light. Looks like it that huge connector was sitting there loose all these years and just working around it knocked the contacts apart.
Thanks all

Quick Reply: Major Electrical Issues After Head Unit Install