Lights Are Flickering ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolverine08
No, depending on the output it could cause a voltage drop in one accessory or multiple.
well its getting a new battery Thursday so hopefully that fixes the problem or ill have them test the alternator.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:45 PM
Check all harnesses

Old 01-02-2014, 07:17 PM
ok update. so today I got a brand new battery and had the alternator checked. problem still exist. all lights work fine except for rear tail light running lights. does anyone know where I can check for the fuse/ harness? I am unfamiliar with the truck and where all that would be located.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:29 AM
alt is bad. blown diode not changing the alt ac output to dc so batt is not charging thus bad batt.

also the ac sine wave going from 0 to 12 volt and back to 0 with a partial batt will cause lights to change brightness during alt high to low voltage output.

if you have an multimeter and know how to use it, set it for ac volts and connect it to your batt and you will likely see ac voltage present coming from alt.

your altinator puts out altinating current hense the name and the rectifier changes it to DC through 4 diodes, these diodes are arranged to allow the ac to flow only in one direction thus dc. if one diode is blown and not allowing current to flow then voltage will drop during half the cycle. over time you will draw current from batt during this time instead of charging, it will die.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by FF301
alt is bad. blown diode not changing the alt ac output to dc so batt is not charging thus bad batt.

also the ac sine wave going from 0 to 12 volt and back to 0 with a partial batt will cause lights to change brightness during alt high to low voltage output.

if you have an multimeter and know how to use it, set it for ac volts and connect it to your batt and you will likely see ac voltage present coming from alt.

your altinator puts out altinating current hense the name and the rectifier changes it to DC through 4 diodes, these diodes are arranged to allow the ac to flow only in one direction thus dc. if one diode is blown and not allowing current to flow then voltage will drop during half the cycle. over time you will draw current from batt during this time instead of charging, it will die.
I just got a new battery and they tested the alt and said it was good?

I noticed my auto light ****ion isn't illuminating any of my instrument panels when it should be, could a bad light switch cause this and my taillights?

Old 01-07-2014, 12:18 AM
so I ordered a new headlight switch, im hoping this is the problem.......

only parking lights don't turn on, and auto light function doesn't work, and also a weird humming/buzzin noise coming from that switch. im hoping this replacement will solve the problem......

Old 01-07-2014, 09:24 PM
check out my fuse and relay on the passenger side foot well, everything looked normal relating to driving lights.

im thinking of replacing one of the relays relating to the driving lights just in case. I have no idea what else to do from here? im just going to try and switch my headlight switch out.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:32 PM
ok another update.
so today I noticed that when my headlight switch is in the on position all of my lights work except my rear parking tail lights. Now when I put the headlight switch into the auto postion my rear parking lights turn on but I loose my interior lights, fog lights, and front parking lights.

WTF? anyone have any idea what the hell is going on?

Old 01-12-2014, 09:12 PM
ok got the new headlight switch in and installed, same exact problem. now I don't know what to do.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:44 PM
finally got it fixed. long story short. I ended up finding an oem wire had been spliced then reconnected, but it was corroded and was not making a solid connection which was the reason the lights where off. It was a grey wire located underneath the side foot panel. very weird y someone would cut there.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:36 AM
did this also fix the original posting/problem with the flickering lights ??

Old 02-26-2014, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by FF301
did this also fix the original posting/problem with the flickering lights ??
yea it fixed all of my electrical issues. grey wire in the side step panel. might have to dig for it. but that wire screwed everything up. also noticed a lot of water seemed to accumulate there, so if anyone spliced or tapped into wires there chances are if they were not sealed properly they are getting water damage.

Quick Reply: Lights Are Flickering ?