Remote start not working - "Learn Tach" not working?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote start not working - "Learn Tach" not working?

I have an 05 F150 with the factory installed Remote Start, Model 2W7J-19G367-AA, RMST.

When I hit the remote start , it goes through a proper start sequence, but it only runs for 1-2 seconds after starting, then shuts down. It does 3 attempts with the same result.

My battery was low through the summer, so something in the program may have been reset. I have checked through the program, and everything looks ok, except that I cannot do a “Learn Tachometer” sequence. I go through the program steps for the “learn tach” function, but the system does not “chirp” every 3 seconds while doing the procedure. I checked all the wiring and I have a good connection to my injector wiring for my tach sense input, and the tach sense line does go to 12+ volts when the engine starts.

It looks like my hood switch is defective, because I unbolted it from its mount and tilted it up and down and it does not seem to switch. I assume this switch is meant to just short out to ground when the hood is closed. I tried to simulate the switch by just shorting the line to ground, but this did not work either. Funny thing is – with a defective hood open switch, I would have thought the remote start sequence would not have even started – I should have just gotten 2 chirps on the horn with no attempted starts if the system thought the hood was open.?. I also played with the “Key-in sense input polarity” thinking this might affect the hood switch polarity also but could not get any results on that test either.

My next step will be to buy a new hood switch and see if it helps. Maybe a full short at the hood switch is not correct, and this is preventing the “tach learn”? – I believe a saw something like 57mV on the hood switch line when I was messing with the Key sense input polarity”, but I’m not sure if this correct – too many tests in one day to keep track…

I have cut & pasted the steps for the “Tach Learn” procedure + the options chart out of the manual – for reference.

Any help / tips / insight on my problem would be much appreciated

Tach (Idle speed) programming - Remote Start Systems Only
A. Make sure that the hood is closed before proceeding.
B. Enter option learn mode as described in step 2 of this section.
C. € RKE/VSS/RMST & RKE/RMST systems - Advance to option bank # 5 (8 chirps)
€ RMST system - Advance to option bank #2 (5 chirps) .
D. € RKE/VSS/RMST & RKE/RMST system - Advance to option #6;
€ RMST system - Advance to option #2.
E. Press and hold in the brake pedal and start the engine using the ignition key.
Allow the engine to settle to a normal idle speed. The system will chirp the horn every three (3) seconds if a valid tach signal is
detected.
F. After the engine has settled to a normal idle speed, press and release the programming/override button (the horn will honk four (4) times) and turn the ignition key off.
NOTE: If the system is not chirping the horn every three (3) seconds after the engine has started, the system is not seeing a valid tach signal. Check your tach connection (refer to the appropriate vehicle specific wiring diagram)

RMST OPTION CHART
Option Bank 1 – 4 chirps
1 – Selectable chirps
Enables arming/disarming confirmation chirps (uses horn). ...... On
2 – Horn used for alarm
Horn sounds during alarm/panic cycles .................................. On
3 – Tach diagnostic mode
This feature should only be used for troubleshooting purposes only!
Car start function ignores tach input, cranks starter one time for one second.
WARNING – Over rev and stall detection is disabled. ............... Off
4 – Car start run time
LED On – 15 minutes, LED Off – 10 minutes ........................... Off
5 – One button start
Activates remote start by press and hold of start button........... Off
6 – Diesel timer
Delays crank attempt 30 seconds after ignition on. .................. Off
Option Bank 2 – 5 chirps
1 – Key-in sense input polarity
LED On – Positive, LED Off – Negative.................................... Off (Negative)
2 – Learn tachometer
With hood open start engine. System will chirp horn
every five seconds if a valid tach signal is present.

Last edited by stumpjump; 10-20-2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: changed "door" switch to "hood" switch 4 places
Old 10-23-2013, 11:11 PM
ive got the same issue. same remote start system on my 06. but mine tries 5 times before giving up. I tested my tach signal line wiring under a load and didnt get any voltage drop. Now when I try ti enter the programming mode using the button absolutely nothing happens. and when I try to program a remote using the 8 turn of the key method the locks click and I hit a remote button and nothing happens

Old 10-28-2013, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by brandonorban
ive got the same issue. same remote start system on my 06. but mine tries 5 times before giving up. I tested my tach signal line wiring under a load and didnt get any voltage drop. Now when I try ti enter the programming mode using the button absolutely nothing happens. and when I try to program a remote using the 8 turn of the key method the locks click and I hit a remote button and nothing happens
I'm (hopefully) going to see a guy tomorrow who used to install these systems & still does some troubleshooting on the side. I'll let you know what he finds.

What do you mean by "testing your tach signal line under load"?

Old 11-04-2013, 08:32 AM
disconnected line at both ends and ran a test light with it then checked for voltage drop

Old 11-05-2013, 03:47 PM
I'm brand new to this. Please bare with me.
First of all HELLO everyone!

I have remote starter issues. It tries 3 times to start but does not engage the starter. I have checked all the fuses under the hood and driver side panel. I replaced the module 2W7Z-19G367-AA and still did not fix the problem. Still does the same thing. Is there an in line fuse I should be looking for? Also, I purchased a new FOB and I cannot find the programming button on the wiring harness.
Any ideas?

Last edited by trevor hounsome; 11-05-2013 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Added new info
Old 11-22-2013, 11:32 AM
After testing, everything seems to be correct on my installation, yet the truck will still not start. I bypassed my hood switch - just shorted the line to ground - so I know it is not a problem. Also I checked my tach signal, the voltage on this line does vary as motor rpm changes. The installer I spoke with says that if everything checks out, but the truck still does not start, then it is likely the "brain" - the primary module. Apparently this is common, that when they fail everything seems to work except that they won't actually start. He's going to see if he can borrow a "brain" from the local ford dealer to swap out and test.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by stumpjump
After testing, everything seems to be correct on my installation, yet the truck will still not start. I bypassed my hood switch - just shorted the line to ground - so I know it is not a problem. Also I checked my tach signal, the voltage on this line does vary as motor rpm changes. The installer I spoke with says that if everything checks out, but the truck still does not start, then it is likely the "brain" - the primary module. Apparently this is common, that when they fail everything seems to work except that they won't actually start. He's going to see if he can borrow a "brain" from the local ford dealer to swap out and test.
I swapped out the "brain" module (software cartridge, DNA module - I have seen several different descriptions for this) and it still didn't work. So I tried bypassing the Tach signal, there is an instruction for doing this in the options menu, AND IT WORKED. So now I have to leave the tach signal bypassed (no protection from overrev or stall on startup, but I can live with this). I did try the tach bypass with the old module and it did not work, so it looks like it was a multiple issue problem.

I might be able to change out the PC-32 module also and get it functioning fully -but maybe not... and the PC 32 is another $200 so I think I'll just live with it the way it is

Old 01-01-2014, 08:47 PM
make sure you have enough gas in the tank. Remote start wont work properly with low fuel.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Question

Originally Posted by stumpjump
Also I checked my tach signal, the voltage on this line does vary as motor rpm changes.
Hey, where is the tach signal wire and what color is it? Also would like to know what voltage is on the wire. I realize it will be pulsed. Wanting to tap this signal to use with a micro-controller. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Remote start not working - "Learn Tach" not working?