84 ign mess

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
84 ign mess

i'm new and hoping for some help. my son bought a 84 250 with a 351 w auto.other then a new problem everyday, main thing is the ign. system. previous owners have really chopped this thing up. underhood wiring has been cut spliced taped modified just plain hacked up. wiring from dist. coil brain box etc,has more cuts and splice's. right now were in a no run situation.might start might not. when it does start it runs fair to terrible,might run 30 sec. or 10 mi.. i know its something in the ign.looking at mag. pickup as poss. problem. what i would like to do, is replace all this outdated ign. crap with a new dist. looking at the hei(gm style) dist. one wire hook up,and eliminate the original ford mess. has anyone done this,are there anything else that would require modifing if done. just fyi,previous owner or owners replaced stock intake and carb with an edlebroke intake 600 holley carb. i have used 1 of these dist. on a old bracket car running a 351 w. worked great,but what i don't know is if we eliminate the stock wiring dist coil etc. will this effect any other function of the truck. thanks for any info or help

Old 11-29-2012, 04:32 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I've moved your thread to the Electrical forum, since it doesn't seem to be related to tuners or late model computer controlled ignition systems.

Hopefully, someone here will have some thoughts.

- Jack

Old 11-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I find it hard to believe that none of you brainiac fordaholics have an answer to this. thanks to any that can help in advance

Old 11-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say start by replacing everything they hacked up.

Quick Reply: 84 ign mess