99 f150 parking light problem with a trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 f150 parking light problem with a trailer

well i went riding my sled today and i trailer it to ride

i installed led lights on my trailer for the brake lights and parking lights there bright and look good. well i re wired the trailer with the kit and tested the lights they all work great with my lawnmower battery everything was ok.

hooked it to my truck and they worked and on my way home tonight i lost my parking lights

parking lights on the trailer and in the ford tail lights front ones stayed on.

when i unplug the trailer 4 prong harness the ford tail lights light up like they should, but whne its plugged in i get a spark on my ground pin for the 4 plug wire. is the + feed backfeeding through the truck?

i dont understand how they work then they dont. its stupid. any ideas?

now i loose everything.

my old light kit for my trailer when plugged into the truck would dim the parking lights bad and the ground pin would spark when in contct like its backfeeding + power

im stumped please help

Old 01-15-2011, 08:53 PM
and last year heading to the grass drags i put my had lights on while pulling my trailer and it popped the fuses for my brake lights and my head lights were on when the truck was off and the switch was off whas up wih that?

Old 01-15-2011, 09:04 PM
and this issue was happening before with my other lights on my sled trailer even before i switched to led

Old 01-15-2011, 09:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is this a factory connector on the truck ?

The reason I ask is the trailer's parking lamps have nothing to do with the parking lamps on the truck, they are isolated with a relay ( this is the case new or old ).

Have you tested the trailer tow adapter on the truck, to check for ground ?
- Could be a damaged ground in the plug on the truck or after the plug behind the rear bumper. Use a meter to test the 4 pin adapter using the trailer tow adapter ground.

The spark from the ground, are you plugging them in with the parking lamps on ?

The headlamps on with the switch & truck off, is the headlamp switch in the off position or the auto position ?

Old 01-15-2011, 09:35 PM
it has the ford T harness for the 4 pin connector i have removed the ild 4 pin connector and replaced it witha new one same thing. and with the lights on parking or headlights it sparks when i touch the trailer and truck grounds together

i re gounded the T harness from the truck to the frame in case it was bad. and i even tapped into the parking lights at the tail lights to runt he trailer off of still no luck that was blowing my fuses under the hood.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The ford factory is not a T harness, that is after market.

The factory trailer tow plug is on different fuses than the truck's lighting, just for this reason.

If you are blowing fuses, there is a problem with the trailer wiring or the after market T harness installed.

Did you test the truck's trailer tow adapter with a meter, or just start replacing items for the heck of it ?

Old 01-16-2011, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
The ford factory is not a T harness, that is after market.

The factory trailer tow plug is on different fuses than the truck's lighting, just for this reason.

If you are blowing fuses, there is a problem with the trailer wiring or the after market T harness installed.

Did you test the truck's trailer tow adapter with a meter, or just start replacing items for the heck of it ?
yes i tested the harness im getting power to all but the parking light one so i jumped it off of the left tail light

Trending Topics

Old 01-18-2011, 03:48 PM
bump still its messed up

Old 01-18-2011, 09:34 PM
Had the same issue. Parking light connector on my 4 pin connector was corroded. Bought a new harness with a 4 pin and 7 pin connector from RockAuto for $15 and not a problem since.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:55 PM
ok i will try it

Old 01-22-2011, 12:38 PM
well i have power down to my 4 prong for all 3 wires stop turn and parking but when my parking lights are on my ground becomes hot 12v+ whats going on with this

Old 01-22-2011, 12:59 PM
so after looning into it deeper i have a busted parking light wire on myt 4 pin so i fxed it and tested it with the ohm meter 12v +

but heres the kicker my ground has 12v+ when the parking lights are on wtf

please help why is my gound pin hot when my parking lights are on

Quick Reply: 99 f150 parking light problem with a trailer