4X4 Issues transfer case motor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 08:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4X4 Issues transfer case motor?

I have a 01 F-150 with 5.4l engine
4x4 doesnt work I started with the transfer case motor to see if that was the issue. I replaced the transfer case motor with a used one and the transfer case will still not shift into 4x4. When I manually shifted the case both 4hi and 4lo worked and the lights came on in the dash. SO a couple of questions
1. How can I test the used transfer case motor or the existing one to rule out motor problems.
2. If motors are good what is the next step to correct this failure.
(side note: the used motor came in low range, I manually shifted the transfer case into low to make it line up and put the switch on the dash in low. Do these have to be synced?)
Also I am not an electrician or elec engineer so alot of what I have already read means nothing to me. I do alot of mechanical stuff, but the electronic part is a challenge.
Appreciate your input

Old 12-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 1997 Expedition and this is what came with the motor. Back probe the transfer case motor connector attaching a voltmeter between the large solid yellow and solid orange wires. Have someone in the vehicle activate the 4wd system and look for a very brief spike in voltage on the meter. At the same time listen for the relay to click on and then off. If there is no spike in voltage and no audible relay click is heard the motor is not being powered. The fault lies elsewhere in the system. This is where i'm at with my 4wd trying locate the problem, i think it is the generic electric module located on the back of the fuse box.

Quick Reply: 4X4 Issues transfer case motor?