Suggestions for a permanent DC to AC inverter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suggestions for a permanent DC to AC inverter?

I want to install a permanent power outlet to plug in my phone charger and laptop on occasion in the center console, and I need to pick out an inverter.
Any techno-savvy people have tips? Is 150W enough to run small devices like these?
And yes, I know I could just get one of those handy inverters that hook into the cigarette lighter, but that's boring and doesn't require any tearing apart of the car.
Also, has anybody seen a center console tear-down DIY thread on here? If not, I'll post one up when I install the outlet.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:40 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
W=VxA, so look at the power consumption rating on each device, and add them up. They all have it somewhere on the label, or molded into the case... If they're rated in Watts, just add. If they're rated in Amps, multiply by 12 and then add it to the running total. That's the absolute minimum size inverter you need, but I wouldn't waste my time for anything less than 1KW. Here's what I put in my CV:

Old 09-04-2010, 04:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flush mount?

I too would love to see what others have done here. My wife has a Jeep Compass Rallye edition and it comes stock with a flush mounted power inverter (I'll try to find a pic). I'd love to put something like this in the back of my Expy console that I just installed (substituting it for the stock stereo control bay).

These guys have an excellent FAQ on what type of inverter you need as well as tips for proper a installation: http://www.invertersrus.com/inverterfaq.html

So far, I haven't found a nice flush mountable option like what's in our Jeep (hope that's not a cuss word around these parts).

Old 09-04-2010, 04:22 AM
photos

Here's a couple photos of what I'm looking for. These were taken from the center console of my wife's Jeep. It only has 150W, but it's plenty to run my beefy laptop (requires 90W). Ideally 600W would be nice, but I would rather have a flush mounted 150W setup like this than a 600W separate unit. I'd like to mount two of these side by side in the back of my center console...

Old 09-04-2010, 06:12 AM
Old 09-04-2010, 08:26 AM
That's just an outlet, like the one in your house. Only that one has a cover, like an outdoor outlet. The inverter is mounted remotely, like mine. You can put outlets wherever you want.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Quick site search for inverter found this thread :
https://www.f150online.com/forums/ge...s-vehicle.html

Notice the use of 90* heads at the inverter, so the wire is not strained.

I would have opted for the gray outlets in the dash in those locations, vs the white ones. The other option is to use the knock out type outlet listed above. My local Industrial ACE hardware has the knockout 3 prong 15 A outlets ( as well as the 2 prong non grounded ones ), so you might find them locally. Think they were < 4.00 each at the ACE.

Watch the specs on the inverter, usually the rating shown is the max, not the constant run spec, you will need to check the spec sheet on it, to find out the max run wattage.

Might want to compare the price against getting a 12 V power supply for your laptop. The 12 V auto ones also come with the airplane power port adapter as well. Cell DC phone charger should be ~ 15.00 ( or less depending on the model ).

I kept looking at this, and could not justify doing it, I already have the airplane charger for all 3 of my laptops. I did just install USB bulk head ports with the DC to USB adapters, so I can plug a USB devices in my console, or the one on the dash. That was overkill using the USB bulk head adapters, the 12 V DC port to USB adapter is all that was needed for it, I just wanted the native USB port in the dash.

Trending Topics

Old 09-05-2010, 12:35 AM
i took a look at my laptop charger, and it says its maximum output is 90W so it looks like a 120W inverter will be plenty. i won't be running anything other than a laptop and a cell charger so that should suit me just fine.

anybody have any brand recommendations? brands i should stay away from?

Old 09-05-2010, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by m_melen
i took a look at my laptop charger, and it says its maximum output is 90W so it looks like a 120W inverter will be plenty...<snip>....
You need to look at the input, not the output. The input is the AC part.
The output wattage is at the charge voltage ( i.e. 19.5 V DC ) to the computer.

The input should have a max AMPs, mine on 120 VAC ( which is 100-240 V AC ) is 2.5 A. I would call that 300 W, even though the 2.5 A max should be on the low side of the input voltage range ( 100-240 VAC ).

The DC input side of my power supply is 8 A max ( 11 - 16 V DC ), again the 8 A should be on the low side of the input voltage range.

You cannot take the max output wattage and try to work backwards, as you will be missing some of the power used by the power supply for voltage change ( i.e. don't call it 90W against 120 VAC ).

Old 09-05-2010, 10:39 PM
You definitely need the INput wattage (or current). Most electronics are less than 50% efficient, which means to get 1 out, you have to put more than 2 in. So that thing might consume over 180W (roughly 15A@120VAC); possibly even more at startup.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:47 PM
ok, on second look at my charger it's got 2 inputs; 1 in AC 1 in DC. AC input says 100-240V, 2.5A. So that would be between 250W and 600W.
Under efficiency level it says "IV," and then has a picture of a white circle between a negative and positive sign. Anybody know what that means?
So for 250-600W, how much do I need the inverter to put out?

Old 09-05-2010, 11:54 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
ok, on second look at my charger it's got 2 inputs; 1 in AC 1 in DC. AC input says 100-240V, 2.5A. So that would be between 250W and 600W.
Under efficiency level it says "IV," and then has a picture of a white circle between a negative and positive sign. Anybody know what that means?

Like this?

That's the polarity diagram fer the dc plug end ...

MGD

Old 09-06-2010, 09:03 AM

The 2.5 A would be at the 100 VAC, at 240 it would be ~ 1 A, so it sounds the same as my Dell power supply I was using as an example, so it is about 250 W input, which means you would want to start with 300 W or 400 W inverters ( depending on the constant run level on it ).

If you have a DC input range, the power supply is already setup for use on an airplane and in a car. You just need the new adapter cord for the AC side.
My Dell antique ( still use it daily ) is from 2003, and the power supply is the type that has the 5 pin cord to the AC or DC ( it changes where the input power is at ).

The newer ones have the smaller input cord on them

Might want to check if you can get the input cord for yours, as you would be all set without requiring to do this mod.
Now wanting to do it is another item

Old 09-06-2010, 06:51 PM
i want to do it. So i guess ill try a 300 or 400w. Suggestions on a brand to get or avoid?

Quick Reply: Suggestions for a permanent DC to AC inverter?