Old 04-13-2015, 03:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Turn signal stopped working????? What tha…
http://www.f150online.com/forums/ele...-what-tha.html

ISSUE
Turn signals stopped working. Numerous members are saying they are having similar issues. The issue is caused by a connector in the steering column that breaks when the steering wheel is lowered.
Read below for the full discussion…
Print Wikipost

turn signals stopped working????? what tha.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2000, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy turn signals stopped working????? what tha.....

My turn signals stopped working.......

Noticed it last night, thought it might "fix itself" today. Got in to go to work and started her up, tried the turn signals and they worked, both of them. Drove around the next courner, used the singals to indicate a left turn, like the good driver that I am, and they didn't work, both of them. Will try it agian when time to go home, but I'm sceptical.....

I don't think it is a fuse, because everything else seems to work just fine.

It was ranning last night and today, but I think I noticed it did this about two days ago, under bright blue clear skies. Besides, a little ran isn't supposed to do this to my turn signals.

I havn't done any electrical mods at all, bone stock.
99' reg cab 4.2L V-6

PS have you tried to drive with out using your turn signals????? If I don't get this fixed soon, I'm going to get killed out there.

Any ideas??????

------------------

Old 06-15-2000, 01:40 PM
The turn signal switch is part of the Multifunction Switch. Also in this unit is the Hazard Flasher switch. Both of these switches control the flashers. When Hazard is OFF, there are contacts in the Hazard part of the switch to cut the lines through to the turn signal part. Try turning on and off your hazard flashers a few times. I have seen the turn signals not work after Hazard flasher use on older trucks, a few on/offs wiped the contacts clean. Worth a try.

Old 06-17-2000, 12:15 AM
GRANPA-
I tried you suggestion and it still doesn't work.

Guess I will have to take it to the dealership.
Damn, I hate to do that.
I'm always affraid that I'm going to get it back in worse shape than when I sent it.

Old 06-20-2000, 02:19 PM
mearnh,

The turn signals use a 'flasher' module that should be located in your in-cab fuse box. It is a silver (aluminum) canister-shaped goodie, with a few (3?) legs on the bottom (visible after you remove it). They cost a couple bucks. I had my signals fail on the road, and was able to get a replacement unit from a truck stop in Mojave.

------------------
Tom Kenney
WORK: tomk@bearcomp.com
PLAY: tom@fluxtech.com

My truck, Sparky, is a 1992 F-150 XLT SuperCab shortbed 4x4, 302, 3.55 LS, 31"x10.5" Dunlop Radial Rovers, silver-on-black two-tone paint. MODS: K&N Filter, Rancho Steering Damper, Duraliner

Sparky's Page

Old 08-17-2000, 05:38 PM
mearnh,
Have you resolved your turn signal problem? My truck has the same disease!!!

Old 09-12-2000, 01:30 PM
Unhappy

My turn signals on my '99 F150 ext. cab stopped working yesterday (09/11/00).
Have any of you found out what is causing this? Is it the Multi-function switch?

Old 09-13-2005, 09:41 AM
Cool Same thing

OK What's going on here. My 2001 F150 has the almost exact same problem this morning. (9/13/2005). Could the techs have knocked something loose when I was in for the Recall this past weekend. I had the EGR valve recall AND the Cruise Brake Control recall addressed both at the same time.

OR would a single blub going out do this.

Here's what i got:
Hazard signal: 3 corners flash (internally: right arrow only) left front bulb and left dash arrow not working
Left turn signal : no go (notta, not even a click)
Right turn signal: "CAN" make it activate if i play with the stick long enough. Get clicks almost constantly. Dash arrow will light in a particular spot.

ANY help would be appreciated.
Thanx,
Mike

Old 09-14-2005, 10:58 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sometimes, the locking tabs at the multifunction switch connectors for the individual pins break and allow the wires to back out slightly, causing weird lighting concerns. Remove the upper and lower steering column shrouds and look at the multifunction switch connectors, give the leads a slight tug and see if any pins back out of the connector.

The following 2 users liked this post by Quintin:
Old 01-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Turn signal flasher switch!

My F-150 turn signals would sometimes work, sometimes not. Even the dash arrow indicators would work intermittant. Eventually all the turn signals stopped working including the dash arrow indicators. Dealer wanted $85 just to diagnose . Phewy... Just bought the flasher( little 1 inch cannister thingy) switch for $2.38 and installed in cab fuse panel. Eureka! Everything works and I can hear the clicking of the blinkers now .

Old 02-26-2008, 10:29 AM
My FX4 just started doing this a few days ago. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. Seems a bit early for something to malfunction on such a newer truck.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
There is a known problem with the 97-03 models, that involves a connector in the steering column that breaks when the steering wheel is lowered, causing the turn signals to fail. This could be the problem that some of you are experiencing.

If you can get your signals back by raising the steering wheel, you will know for sure that this is the problem. However, the connector can pull apart far enough that they don't work no matter what position you set the steering wheel. The only way to tell in that case is to remove the column housing to see for yourself.

The following thread contains a repair procedure that I wrote, including a picture of the connector:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=318028

Old 06-09-2008, 02:48 PM
I do not know if I have the same Issue as the rest of you but here goes;
This is getting worse as the temps rise.
Both left and right turn signals work for like two or three flashes and then just freeze the instrument light stays on and the clicking/flashing stops. If I turn the signal off and turn it back on the same thing happens again. I am going to try replacing the 'flasher' module and see if that fixes it but if any of you guys know the real issue and fix that would be great.
Thanks

Old 06-09-2008, 03:17 PM
Let me know what replaceing the flasher does.
My 2000 Expedition is doing the same thing, already replaced the multifunction switch, did not help.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:21 AM
Well I replaced the flasher control and so far so good. I left the hazards on for like 20 minuets and it did not “freeze” at all. To test I put the old flasher in and did the same thing and after about 10 flashes they froze so I am hopeful that was the fix. I will say that it was a bit of work to get to the flasher I had to take the lower trim panel off and then the cover was taped on, it took me about one hour to do. I do not like the sound of the after market flasher and of course it is not near as well built. $12.99 at auto zone.

Last edited by GeorgeR; 06-10-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:04 PM
On a 2000 F150/Expedition, where is the flasher?
Is it not where the fuses are under the dash?

Quick Reply: turn signals stopped working????? what tha.....