(04-08 owners) ...don't forget to check your fuel controller.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(04-08 owners) ...don't forget to check your fuel controller.

I'm posting to remind you to check the electronic fuel controller for corrosion.
.....before it craps out while you're driving.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...-its-pics.html

Old 03-06-2010, 07:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Kept forgetting to upload these pictures.

The Fuel Pump Driver Module Kit ( driver module & new stand off style bolts )
Check if the part number has changed with a newer one

Wide picture to show where it is located. The spare tire is lowered, and you can see the cable for the spare tire crank on the right side of the picture.

Mine had quite a bit of corrosion under it, and made a mess out of it. Good thing I ordered a new one for the heck of it, I am sure I was close to being stranded. The PCB in the module did not crack.... yet

The revision 2 module installed. I only had to clean off the cross member, did not have to angle grind it like the directions stated to do.

I hosed down the cross member with some S100 corrosion protector prior to installing the new one.

One thing I will disagree with mjb1032's method in the thread linked above, do not put a plastic bag around the module.

Temperature swings will cause the bag to condensate, and might damage the module. If moisture can escape from the bag, it is useless ( it is open some how ).
The module exposed to the elements is not the problem, the module being mounted flat to the metal cross member, and I am guessing dissimilar metal corrosion causes a build up behind the module, pushing it out and cracking it.
The new mounting method from Ford is to include the stand offs already, so no need to space off with DIY parts.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Nice work, Steve! I've copied it into the How To section.

- Jack

Old 03-08-2010, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SScully,
I didn't know about the stand-off bolts when I replaced mine.
When I get back to working on the truck, I'll check for condensation in the plastic bag I used. I thought protection from the elements would only help.
Thanks for the update.
MB

Old 03-08-2010, 07:31 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Good morning!

I would also like to add my thanks fer the great write-ups!

I'm wondering if the bracket is also used as a heatsink fer the driver - so encapsulating the assembly would not be good.

Here's the guts:

This leads me to consider a 'relocation' project for this module - I really do not like it where it is now - not in the Northeast

This is indeed a great reminder - I'm going to the wreckers to get a couple of these fer the on-board spares box, lol.

Thanks again folks!

Cheers

MGD v4.2

Quick Reply: (04-08 owners) ...don't forget to check your fuel controller.