Automatic Headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Read the post just above yours
Maybe I was not clear enough in my previous post. I have found more often than not, that electrical problems are not always corrected the first time around. Sometimes the initial repair appears to be the solution but can lead to additional problems. Just wanted to make sure that this was the sole problem and the lights still work. As you mentioned before SCULLY there are other variables involved with the lighting system that could have gone wrong. If lights are still working that is great! That is all I wanted to know! Thanks.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bubstruk
Maybe I was not clear enough in my previous post. I have found more often than not, that electrical problems are not always corrected the first time around. ...<snip>.....
I have found that if troubleshooting is done correctly from the start, electrical problems are fixed the 1st time.

Originally Posted by Bubstruk
...<snip>.....Just wanted to make sure that this was the sole problem and the lights still work. As you mentioned before SCULLY there are other variables involved with the lighting system that could have gone wrong. If lights are still working that is great! That is all I wanted to know! Thanks.
The other variables were removed from the OP's symptoms with troubleshooting them.

Does this mean you have the same solution to your symptoms, not necessarily, but this is what proper troubleshooting would reveal.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:04 PM
This is an old thread, but it is exactly what I need to know. Thanks for being so thorough is explaining everything.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:09 PM
SSCULLEY,
I have a 2001 F150 Lariat Super Cab that has this problem. The problem is that fuse #29 continues to blow while driving. That fuse controls the autolamps, autolock belt minder and the transmission OD switch. I have tried to isolate the problem but had no success. I am now looking for the connector mentioned above. I have removed the upper portion of the rear seat looking for, what my book calls, a Central Security Module. None there. Any ideas where it is located on my truck?

Old 03-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by F150xltbrc
SSCULLEY,
I have a 2001 F150 Lariat Super Cab that has this problem. The problem is that fuse #29 continues to blow while driving. That fuse controls the autolamps, autolock belt minder and the transmission OD switch. I have tried to isolate the problem but had no success. I am now looking for the connector mentioned above. I have removed the upper portion of the rear seat looking for, what my book calls, a Central Security Module. None there. Any ideas where it is located on my truck?
One of the issues you may have with this thread is it pertains to 2004 trucks. I'm not sure how different the electrical systems are but this may be why you can find the connector where he describes it.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by F150xltbrc
SSCULLEY,
wld_wst is correct, you are applying a solution to a 2004-08 MY truck to a 2001 MY truck.

With fuse #29 blowing, 1st place to check is the base of the shift lever tube under the column cover, and just entering the tube.

The typical cause of fuse #29 blowing is the wires are chaffed, and shorting to the metal tube causing a short to ground.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:01 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Just thought of something... If that shorted out, could it have been the result of a leaky third brake light?

Old 03-17-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
Just thought of something... If that shorted out, could it have been the result of a leaky third brake light?
Fuse #29 or the BSM/VSM connector ?

The BSM/VSM connector, the pictures look like a loan issue, no signs of water damage in the pictures. Additionally, the picture shows how far recessed the connector is in the BSM.

The location of the BSM is under the window.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:30 PM

I meant the BSM/VSM, but I guess not.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:49 PM

I meant the BSM/VSM, but I guess not.
Mine is a guess also, so don't put too much weight into it.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:11 PM

Yeah but you have more credibility I'm just pulling stuff out of my ***

Old 03-17-2011, 09:33 PM

Yeah but you have more credibility I'm just pulling stuff out of my ***
Not really, that was just a list of items I thought of.

Not like I have some special power that allows me to see where water would flow if there was a leak

Guess that means I am also pulling stuff out of my rear

Old 03-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Guys,
Thanks for all the information. I found my CSM under the dash on the firewall when I unhooked the OD switch. The CSM was fine, no issue with the connector. My problem, as everyone else seems to have found was in the OD circuit. I did not find any signs of wires chaffing. But I unhooked the switch where it connects down by the brake pedal, and the issue went away. Since I don't do any snow plowing or have any need to take it out of overdrive, I don't plan to go any further. Does anyone see a problem with just unhooking the OD switch?
Thanks again for all the wonderful background.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:00 AM

About the only thing that might be a problem, is the OD light flashing is how the transmission reports a problem.

What this means, if the trans never has a problem, then no issue.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
About the only thing that might be a problem, is the OD light flashing is how the transmission reports a problem.

What this means, if the trans never has a problem, then no issue.
Thanks SSCULLY for the information. I looked through my manual and it says thaking it out of OD can also assist with downhill grades in that it will help reduce the speed.. I probably will remove the swith and wiring and fix it right..

Thanks again for your help..

Quick Reply: Automatic Headlight problem