Auxiliary back-up lights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2001, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Auxiliary back-up lights?

Has anyone added auxiliary back-up lights? Is it very difficult? Can you patch into the existing wiring or will this cause fuse problems? Should the lights be on a separate switch & circuit? I've seen an ad for a set from KC Hilites.

------------------
97 150 SC 4x4, 4.6L, 3.55, 265/75R16, Bought used 4-00 with 55,500 miles, Molded Ford mud guards (front), Class IV Receiver hitch, Delta toolbox (over wheel well), Bed mat, Ventvisor Stepshields

Old 03-03-2001, 10:44 AM
Lightbulb

Use any old fog lite and splice positive wire into a backup lite wire. This is one of those mods where even the cheapest lite works great

------------------
Badd Andy

2001 Toreador
F-150 Supercab XLT
7700lb, 5.4L, 4R100
Tow Packg, 3.73
DRL Foglite mod
Headlites Relayed
A/C cutout switch
RS 9000's all around
Bug & Wind deflectors
Lund Premier Tonneau
Short rubber antena
98 ANGLER 8.6 Camper
95 Windstar w/replaced head gasket
97 Susuki Bandit 1200
87 Yamaha XT-350

Old 03-03-2001, 01:47 PM
Cool

I used AMES 19.95 fog lights. I wired them to a relay under the hood and pulled power from the starter relay. I used a 3 way switch and switched it with the back-up lights and on their own. Yes I did run a wire from the reverse light to the cab. I ran 3 wires to the rear, 1 for the switch power, 1 for the lights and 1 for a 12 volt outlet in the bed.

------------------
GOLD RUSH

'99 F150 XLT SC SB 4x2 Harvest Gold
Factory[*]5.4[*]3.55 limited slip[*]Trailer towing package[*]In-dash CD player
Aftermarket[*]Ford Beanie bear[*]Slip on extender mirrors[*]Powerstop brake controller[*]Covermaster C1000 topper with wing[*]BugflectorII[*]Ventvisors (front&rear)[*]3 www.f150online.com decals[*]Ford Lumi Logo[*]Steelhorse Billet grill[*]Ford hitch cover[*]Yellow wire loom[*]Hyper White head light bulb[*]Fender badge on tailgate[*]Painted to match AVS slotted taillight covers[*]Ford system 4 alarm[*]Clear turn signals[*]"Blazer" strip reflectors under tailgate[*]FORD script antenna painted to match[*]Cup Holder courtesy lights[*]IonOptics driving lights as reverse lights[*]12 Volt power outlet in bed[*]Power port/Cigarette lighter courtesy light[*]4 Driving lights in grill[*]Next who knows???

<A HREF="http://www.firezap.url4life.com" TARGET=_blank> </A>

<A HREF="http://njf150truckclub.homestead.com" TARGET=_blank> </A>
firezapper@f150world.net

[This message has been edited by Firezap (edited 03-03-2001).]

Old 03-04-2001, 09:15 PM
I just bought some Pilot lights from the local auto parts store. The lights cost $20 and another $20 for additional wire/connectors. I just followed the wiring diagram on the box and presto...lights. I didn't wire it into the existing backup lights because I wanted to be able to switch them on/off whenever I want, especially useful when unhitching in the dark at a campground. Very easy to do, go for it.

------------------
Rip
2001 F350 XLT SC Dually
V10 * 4X4
Westin Platinum Series Steps
Line-X Spray In Bedliner

Old 03-06-2001, 12:27 AM
I did exactly the same as you did, RipF350, right down to the type lights. I used the smallest ones I could find, about 2 1/2 x 1 1/2, and actually screwed the bases to the plastic bumper step pad right under the existing back up lights but so that the tailgate doesn not hit them. The plastic step pad is strong enough if you use short self-tapping screws and pre-drill a smaller than usual pilot hole and then don't over-tighten the screws. Of course, the lights have to either have a separate ground wire or you have to add one.

I don't get quite as much light from them as from some of the larger fog lights, but it is adequate. I DID have a nice pair of cheap ones mounted UNDER the rear corners of the bumper, but found that the first snowbank wiped first one out and then the second snow bank wiped out the other. That's why I mounted the new ones on top.

I wired them right to the back up light lead on the 7-pin trailer connector, since that already has a relay and I figured two 50watt bulbs might tax the existing back up wiring a bit especially when I use them for longer than normal like trailer unhitching at night.

------------------
2000 Lariat, 5.4, 3:55 L.S., 4wd, ext cab, Tow pkg, Chestnut/Gold, Century mid-hi cap, Ford short bug deflector, contoured Ford running boards and bedmat.

Old 03-12-2001, 12:43 AM
I added a set of fog lights (55 watt with harness) I found on the clearance table. Tied into the leads on the on the towing package (really glad I ordered it) Added a relay switched to the reverse lead , power from the hot lead on the 7 pin lead. Mounted the lights under the bed supports/behind the bumper. Don't stick any lower than the receiver/pin lead. Shift into reverse - DAYLIGHT! Less than $30. Highly reccommend.

------------------
2001 F150 Supercrew 4X2 (Gen III), Lariat, Arizona Beige Metallic, 5.4L, Towing Package, 3.55 LSD, Moonroof, Captains Chairs, Premium Sound, Extender
Ordered 14 Dec 2000, Received 9 Feb 2001 Life is Good...
Modifications:
Line X bedliner, Ford factory splashguards, Black Westin Step Bars, Aux Back Up Lights

Old 10-02-2009, 04:09 AM
tonight was one of those nights that i felt like staying up to do something to my new truck. well i bought a pair of the cheap $20 wal mart fog lights and wired them into my trailer harness and attached them to the top of the hitch bar. they are out of sight under there but they make a huge difference when in reverse. the stock back up lights are terrible in this thing.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:54 PM
I mounted two 55 watt halogen fog lamps under the bumper. For the wiring, I installed a SPDT switch next to the cigar lighter and ran the reverse trigger wire from the trailer reverse wire coming out of the fuse box. I also have a powered wire going to the other side of the switch so I can turn on the lights anytime I want to. I ran a dedicated power wire from the battery to a relay that I mounted in the left-hand tail light assembly. There was plenty of room in there to help keep the relay dry. I only had to run two wires to the back. It works great. I wish I knew how to put a wiring diagram on here to show yall. It's set up light the White Knight reverse lights except my switch is inside the cab.

Last edited by DJ2007; 10-02-2009 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Added pictures

Quick Reply: Auxiliary back-up lights?