tell me if I am wrong......dealer problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tell me if I am wrong......dealer problem

I have a 2004 Supercrew that the factory warranty no longer covers. I bought the extended warranty when I bought it so i took it to the dealer to repair a broken window regulator and the auto headlights were not working.

The guy calls me and says they fixed the window but the warranty company will only cover 1.5 hours of diagnostic labor on the autolamps and they are in it an hour with no solution. Anything after the 1.5 hours and I start paying $100/hour. I ask the guy what he has done so far. He says that they have disassembled the steering column cover and traced the wire back to the VSM behind the rear seat and that took an hour. Then he says that the wire leaves the VSM fine but could be shorted under the seats and that to take all the seats out that i may get into 4-5 hours. I ask why they just cant check for voltage in the under the opposite(passenger) sill access and SEE if its shorted or broken using a meter rather than physically having to look at it.
He ignores that and starts explaining to me that there are 20-25 wires in each bundle and they have to go through each one to check that way. I start laughing and ask if they don't have schematics at their dealer.
I tell them to put it back together and forget it. Now I find out the warranty company wont pay for the 1 hour diagnosis if they didn't fix the problem. So i get there and pay the $100 just to get out of there. I take it home. look up some schematics here and other places, go out and find that the plug at the VSM is the slightest bit corroded. I clean it, put a shirt over the sensor and all works great. Took 20-30 minutes tops. I think they should return my money because I really think their mechanic was incompetent.

Anyone agree or should I just let it go.

I still really dont understand why they took off the streering column cover looking at various schematics and it pisses me off that I paid $100/hr. for them to take apart things that didn't need to be taken apart.

By the way when driving home the door rattled at every bump. Took that apart to check it out and the guy didn't replace the bolt holding the window motor on causig it to slap around. Ridiculous.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:27 PM
in my opinion you are completely right....however your attempt to get your money back will be useless....let it go....youre not getting your money back...id still go to complain so they dont do that to other people....and maybe youll get lucky

Old 09-07-2008, 05:31 PM
sounds like you have my luck man. you can go complain and MAYBE get something in return and **** everyone off and they REALLY screw you next time...

OR
suck it up and move on. figure it in on the cost of another one of life's lessons.

hey, that's sounds pretty good. i should be a writer or something ... yeah maybe not

Old 10-09-2008, 02:34 PM
2004 F-150... this is my second window regulator to go out on two seperate windows... This peevs me off too.... Ford has acknowledged the regulators are a problem but refuse to do anything about it....

Old 10-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
I think it really depends on the Service Manager. Can you talk to him and explain what you did and how you fixed it? Some of these people are OK guys and will work with you.

Part of it is how you approach the problem. You cannot come across as angry. You have to remain calm, even if he doesn't seem to like what you're saying and you have to explain your position precisely. You have to ask for his help here. You're in no position to "demand" anything. If you can say you've been a loyal customer and this is the first time anything like this has happened, so much the better!

I could go on and on. Some of you would see it as "brown nosing" or "sucking up". I don't see it that way at all. The Service Manager has problems, you have problems. You need to get him sympathetic to your problems, while acknowledging his complicated responsibilities.

- Jack

Quick Reply: tell me if I am wrong......dealer problem