Starter Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 07:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter Issues

I have a 1997 F150 that I've been trying to get started for a while now. We tried jumping the relay that's under the hood, but to no avail. So I got under the truck to check the connections to the starter, and the one connection that runs straight from a stud to the back of the starter (looks like a ground strap) was so corroded that as soon as I touched it it fell apart. Is there some type of kit I can buy to replace that part? It was attached to one of the studs with a screw, so I assume so.

Thanks!

LiquidOC

Old 06-28-2008, 08:43 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
If it was the strap that is part of the starter, replace the starter. Sounds like it was the jumper strap that provides battery power from the starter solenoid terminal to the starter motor terminal.

If it was a ground strap or cable, replace the cable.

Steve

Old 06-28-2008, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isn't there a way to fix the cable though? I was hoping to not have to replace the whole starter, although it is already pulled from the truck.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could you make a replacement strap with a piece of flattened copper pipe?

I had problems with the starter on my '97 f510 as well. The battery cable broke off at the starter, had to solder a new lug on the end. Then the housing corroded so badly that it would not ground to the block anymore. Wire-brushing the starter housing and mating surface on the motor fixed that. The original starter was still on it after 9 years when I traded it in.

Good Luck
Walt

Quick Reply: Starter Issues