turn signal

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turn signal

Please help, My right hand turn light sometimes works fine ,then others it will sound like the relay is pulsing faster than normal and r rear bulb flashes fast, the indicator on dash will not light and the front bulb will not light up when flasher flashes normal speed all lights work. Do you think maybe flasher relay? At a loss, and would really like to know if anyone else has this problem.It just happened all of a sudden doesnt matter cold hot humid dry . One time and it will work normal then when you flip it wont work two or three times then it will work fine really odd. Thanks in advance and GO FORD and GOD BLESS AMERICA.

Last edited by whopperdad22; 04-22-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by whopperdad22
Please help, My right hand turn light sometimes works fine ,then others it will blink really fast, the indicator on dash will not light and the front bulb will not light up when flasher flashes normal speed all lights work. Do you think maybey flasher relay? At a loss, and would really like to know if anyone else has this problem. Thanks in advance and GO FORD.
Not the relay. I think you have a bad electrical connection in your right hand front light socket.

Get the headlight unit out and remove the turn signal light bulb and its plug. I'd remove and insert the bulb into the plug a few times to "burnish" the contacts (removing oxidation). I'd also wear gloves to do this to keep skin oils off the bulb.

Then, I'd apply a bit of dialectric grease to the bulb contacts before reinserting the bulb. This should inhibit further corrosion.

Put everything back and you should be good to go!

- Jack

Old 04-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Can you post some info on your truck ( MY, trim level, cab type ), or complete your profile.

If you move the tilt on your steering wheel, does the problem go away ?

Old 04-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Yes as a matter of fact after trying the die-eletric have narrowed down to lever actuator today if I move it partway most of the times it works. Will possibly try wd-40. I was thinking maybe not making the connection in the switch itself, hence the wd-40. Dont really know how the connection is made, like contact points.

Last edited by whopperdad22; 04-29-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Can you post some info on your truck ( MY, trim level, cab type ), or complete your profile.

If you move the tilt on your steering wheel, does the problem go away ?
And you're thinking damage to the wiring due to "rubbing" or other machanical effects from the "tilt" feature, right? If so, I don't care much for a WD-40 treatmant.

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 04-24-2008 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Added NO on WD-40
Old 04-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
And you're thinking damage to the wiring due to "rubbing" or other machanical effects from the "tilt" feature, right? If so, I don't care much for a WD-40 treatmant.

- Jack
Actually, damaged connector in the steering wheel connector, common on the old truck with either repetitive use, or never used, then used one day.
The wiring can slide back down the steering wheel column under the dash, putting outward stress on the connector, and then the pins start to discolor over time, causing a high resistance ground. Turn signal, headlamps, and some times brake lamp problems are the symptoms with this issue.

Cure is to clean the pins back to shiny metal, pull up on the harness and zip tie it off under the column, and wire tie the connector back together if the pins are loose or broken. That is if they are not beyond repair ( too discolored to clean or melted connector from high resistance splice ).

Old 04-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Thank you all very much. I will check these things out and let you know. Been out messin with it and found out if I move the actuator arm up about half way signal works every time seems to me to be in the switch itself. Anybody else have anything like this? We always use our signals and have since owning the truck thats a bunch of turnin 115,000 miles and old truck still runs great knock on wood. No brake light problems or headlight problems. Again thanks for taking the time to help. Anyone else have any ideas. Open to suggestions.

Last edited by whopperdad22; 04-29-2008 at 09:29 PM.

Quick Reply: turn signal