How to dismantle Ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to dismantle Ignition switch

Iam trying to fix a problem with a F150 4.2 L 2001 year model.,

when the car is running and i engage the Trany in N or P the Starter kicks in and the lound noise screeching noise, and when the Key is out it keeps beeping , and as a matter of fact the radio when iam driving powers onn and off., except on low volume.

i thought it was some Trany issue, but guys in this forum told me no its not, its the Ignition switch or linkage.
I took off the switch under the coloum and took it apart , its working fine., however, i cant figure out how to take apart the unit where you insert the Key ., I feel there is problems there, because i have the play with it when i take the key off to stop the beep., and i need to fix the starter issue too.
so is there a (how to guide somewhere to do this).??
sincerely matt

Old 01-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you looking for how to remove it from the steering wheel column itself ?

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...light=ignition

Or are you asking about how to take apart the ign switch, already removed from the streering wheel column ? ( that one I could not find a thread on ).

JMC's instructions in the thread work great for removing the ign switch, to take out the key in ign chime ( did it on my dad's '01 ).

Old 01-03-2007, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for responding.
Iam trying to take off from steering , to fix , or change the sensors right there, the plastic cover where the Hazard switch is cant be removed., so i need to remove the Black switch unit where the key is put.
and of course i would need to see if the linkage is ok, ...etc, some wire is broken i found, so indeed i need to get that thing out and maybe apart.,
sincerely

Quick Reply: How to dismantle Ignition switch