backup light wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
backup light wiring help

ok, i picked up some small fog lights at walmart that were about $15. I plan on installing them as backup lights. However, i just need help with the wiring. I just want it so if i flip the switch on, the lights come on. I dont need it so they come on automatically when i put the truck in reverse. Plus i would rather keep it as simple as possible. How should i wire them though? They need a 15 amp fuse as that is what they come with.

i am a noob when it comes to the electrical wiring in automobiles so any help will be appreciated.

if you want to contact me on aim or msn go ahead. It might be easier to explain it that way

Old 01-01-2007, 03:54 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Find a hot source in the cab, put a switch/fuse on it, and run it to the back of the truck. Ground the lights somewhere in the rear, even on the frame. And your good to go.

Im having trouble deciding how im going to mount mine. Also maybe get an LED to remind you when you have the lights on.

And im at my parents house, but i can talk to you about it via aim later this week if you'd like
-Patrick

Old 01-01-2007, 04:27 PM
ok thanks, just post whenever you get back and cause i would like to talk to you more about it.

Old 01-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Run a fused power lead from the battery to the rear area to feed the new lights.
At the fuse area ,put a relay with one side of it's winding to battery out of the fuse.
Run one wire from the relay winding thru the fire wall to a switch.
Ground the other side of the switch. Operating the switch completes the relay winding circuit.
This covers all areas of circuit protection and single wire ground switching without doing any taps anywhere except at the battery.
If you want the lights to come on with the backup lights, place and power the relay off a back up lamp lead but you still need the fused feed from the battery because the backup light circuit can't feed the extra current of the new lights.
Another way is to feed the new lights off the trailer harness, if you have one in place.
If there is ever a problem, the fuse will blow or you remove the fuse and kill the whole circuit.

Old 01-01-2007, 06:37 PM
hey i am wanting to do this also, can u take a pic of the lights, and how u installed them, and etc.. and how bright they are
thanks

Old 01-01-2007, 07:13 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
The lights are from Auto Zone and meant for aux backup service.
They are 55 watts each, mounted to the tow hitch under the bumper and angled to each side a good bit to light up the areas so I can see well using the side mirrors at night.
The 30 amp rated relay is mounted up behind one rear wheel well shield to keep water and mud off.
The relay winding is powered from the backup lamp lead Black / Pink to relay winding. Ground the other side of the relay winding.
The #10 lead comes from the battery thur a 30 amp inline fuse, along and fastened to the frame, to the relay contact lug, then to the lights from the remaining contact lug..
I also use this heavey lead to a bumper outlet to power a 12 volt wench in a trailer to pull 2000 lbs cars in to it. This is why it's a #10 lead. It goes direct to the wench socket as well.
Use good wiring methods, sizes and connectors so the life of the circuit and parts are reasonable and tough.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Old 01-01-2007, 07:46 PM
You can wire them the way that I wired my bed lights.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=266721

Install a switch in the cab. Tap fuse 37 and install the 15A fuse that came with the lights inline.

I am no pro when it comes to this stuff and I was able to do it. I am sure you will be able to as well.

Dave

Old 01-02-2007, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by F150_B.F.D.M.
hey i am wanting to do this also, can u take a pic of the lights, and how u installed them, and etc.. and how bright they are
thanks
i am going to use the same set up as this.....same lights....too
they were $15 bucks at walmart. I went cheap, because they could easily be broken.

http://members.***.net/kinzerford/F-...up_Lights.html

Quick Reply: backup light wiring help