Problem with gauges, radio and battery dying

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with gauges, radio and battery dying

As per the topic title, my Grandmother's '96 F150 has a problem that just arose a month ago. Initially it just seemed like the battery had died, like someone left the lights or something. Then the gauges started to go wonky, you'd have the speedometer working, but not the rpm gauge and then the fuel gauge wouldn't work. And at about the same time, the radio (aftermarket) starting cutting in and out. And now recently it just died on the road, managed to get it home and parked and that's where it stands.

Any ideas on where to even start to diagnose the prolbem. My first thought would be alternator, but I wouldn't think that the alternator would affect the gauges.

Any help is much appreciated.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:48 PM
did you figure it out?

cyber,

are you still having trouble with your electrical system?

cc

Old 10-17-2006, 09:59 PM
sounds like you have a ground some where ( bare wire touching metal or other wire) start with looking where the most recent work was completed I would deffinatelty check the after market radio somthing may have been messed up durring instalation or a wire may have been rubbing and overtime wore through the insulations. grounds are usually a pain to track down but take your time and be thorough. or if you don't have time or not very good with electronics take it to a shop.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:05 AM
it may be the battery cables themselves. do a visual inspection on them and see if some corrosion has migrated down the cable. I you have a meter available measure the battery voltage and then measure the battery voltage at the starter. If there is a HUGE difference then you know you have a problem.
Are the headlights bright and shiney when you turn them on or kind of dull? When you try to start it does it even turn over?
Edward

Quick Reply: Problem with gauges, radio and battery dying