No Power to Trailer Brake Control Harness

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question No Power to Trailer Brake Control Harness

I have an 02 screw with the factory trailer tow package. The truck came with the electic brake contorller pigtail that plugs in under the dash and two relays to put in the under-hood fusebox. This has been working fine for several months. I was installing an amp for my stereo last night and was going to tap into the switched power in the brake contoller wiring (used for trailer battery charging)for a remote turn-on for the amp. I used a test light, found the wire, spliced in (yes, it was a good connection), and now am getting no power. I disconnected the pigtail, tested both sides of the connector, and I get nothing. The only wire still hot is the brake signal wire when brake is applied. I have checked and double checked all fuses. What could have gone wrong?

Any help greatly appreciated,
Brian

Old 08-23-2006, 08:12 PM
I think your wire for your amp draws too much power for your brake connector, you might want to try and hook the amp directly to the battery, and see if that works.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:17 PM
The amp is hooked directly to the battery for power. This is just for remote turn-on purposes. Anyhow, I figured out what the problem was. I overlooked the 'max fuses' and one was blown. I assume they will have these at the standard auto parts store? They're kind of wierd looking...

I still need to find a switched power to tap into for the remote turn-on though. Turns out where I had it tapped before was a constant 12 source.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:47 PM
They should have them at a auto parts store, and if they don't have them there, you might want to try a car stereo shop, as for the switched power source, if you have an aftermarket head unit, there should be a light blue wire that you can tap into, if you have a stock head unit, you can tap into the red switched power wire. Hope that helps

Quick Reply: No Power to Trailer Brake Control Harness