Turn Signal Out

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn Signal Out

Gotta 97 F150 and my right front turn signal does not work. Played with the bulbs. Took the right front and swapped it with the left front and then did the same with the rear. All bulbs were funtional so it's not a bulb.

It used to sometimes flash like crazy like it was on speed but now it does not work. Left signal is fine. In addition, the dash panel right signal does not flash either.

Is this the Multi functional Switch??

Please help.

Old 03-02-2006, 11:51 PM
the relay might be out

Old 03-03-2006, 08:34 AM
Where can I find the relay and know that it needs to be replaced?

Thanks

Old 03-03-2006, 10:08 AM
I had a similer problem with my turn signal. I tried blubs, relay and flasher units, but it turn out to be problem with wring harness. Cost me around $250 for dealer to fix it. Hopefully your problem will not cost as much as mine, but after the simple things you may have to take it to a shop.

Old 03-03-2006, 04:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is it just the turn signal, or the front maker lamps also does not work ?

I ask this to find out if the ground is good at the bulb connector.

If the parking / marker lamp works, next step would be to get further back into the harness to check the wiring, but prior to digging up the schematics for your year, I wanted to check the simple item.

Let us know, and we can go from there.

Old 03-03-2006, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Is it just the turn signal, or the front maker lamps also does not work ?
SSCULLY..the marker lamp works. I just checked.

I also confirmed that everything works like normal except:

-No right dash signal flashing. I can hear it but see no light blinking on my dash
-Only right front blinker is out

left is all fine and right rear is fine.

Old 03-03-2006, 08:20 PM

Well, that seems to nail it down, now that I pulled the 1997 EVTM.
Seems to be the MFS that is giving you problems, with it being the circuit to signal element in the lamp, and the dash lamp both not working, which is a common output of the MFS

Here are the diagrams from the 1997 EVTM for the turn signals, you can see where the common lead from the MFS feeds both the dash indicator, and the front lamp.

JMC has the test procedure for the MFS in his gallery here :

Take a run through the test procedure, and see what you come up with, but it look a whole lot like the MFS output at pin 5 is not getting power ( flashing ) out of it. The connector is the same for left and right as well as the brake switch, so I would think that is ok.

Start with the MFS test procedure from JMC gallery above, and go from there.

Good luck, let us know what you come up with, for the next member to have this happen.

Trending Topics

Old 03-03-2006, 09:42 PM
This is a common problem with fords. I had a 2001 supercrew that did it. Try tilting your steering wheel to different positions and have someone stand out side and tell you when it works. The dealer replaced my turn signal switch 2 times before they figured out what the problem was. It had to do with the connection either to the switch, like a pin wasn't making contact in the plug to the switch, or where the steering wheel harness plugs to the truck harness. Either way it should not be to hard to pinpoint. Just have someone outside watching the lights when you wiggle and push on the connections so you will know which one it is. As far as a fix, just bend the pins a little so that they will make better contact. If you decide to use a test light, disconnect the batterie and un plug the air bag. You could set it off if you are not careful.

Old 03-03-2006, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by FX4ME2
..<snip>...If you decide to use a test light, disconnect the batterie and un plug the air bag. You could set it off if you are not careful.
1997's don't have the G-Force deceleration sensor in them ?

My '01 SCrew had it, and obviously the '06 SCrew does as well.

With the G-Force deceleration sensor the vehicle needs to be moving at least 27.5 MPH ( think that is the speed, or maybe 25 MPH ?? ) and have an impact to the front bumper to set off the airbag.

Old 03-04-2006, 08:39 AM
You can set it off if you short across a power source to the air bag. It's just a safety precaution.

Old 03-04-2006, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by FX4ME2
You can set it off if you short across a power source to the air bag. It's just a safety precaution.
Are you refering to the 1st generation of airbags, or dual input airbags ?
The G-Force deceleration is what tells the airbag(s) how fast to deploy ( or if at all ), if the front crash sensor is also activated.
If the truck does not have a deceleration when the bumper is hit, they will not deploy.

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Out