Windsheild Wpiers

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windsheild Wpiers

I have 99 F-150 V-6 5 speed, out of no where I can be riding down the road and my windsheild wipers will come on for no reason. I seems that if I turn the wipers on after this happens then turn them off again they will shut off. It sounds like a short after soemthing gets warm but don't know where to start looking any ideas?

Steve5

Old 02-14-2006, 08:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Probably a bad multifunction switch. Remove the upper and lower steering column shrouds to access the switch and inspect the connectors for any loose pins or burn spots. If the connector has burns on it, I'd replace the connector and multifunction switch. The individual pins themselves can walk out of the connector and make intermittent contact, causing weird stuff like wipers ghosting or brake light problems at times as well. Or, you could try a shot of brake clean (find some that evaporates on contact) down into the multifunction switch through the hazard button, this cleans and frees up contacts that may wear/stick internally in the switch and can fix things temporarily.

Old 02-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the advice, I have to do the blend door and heater core this weekend so I'll look at it while i'm all torn apart

Old 02-15-2006, 01:15 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Also, try a quick search on the site for 'ghost wipe'. This is a pretty common problem and, like Quintin (who is a Ford Certified Tech might I add) mentioned, it's often the switch on the stalk.

Welcome to f150online.com!

RP

Old 02-15-2006, 04:59 PM
I've got a 97 F150 SC 2wd with the 4.6 (bought it used in Oct 05 with 88000 kms). My wipers work when I turn the switch on but often (8 times out of 10) I have to press the washer fluid button 6 to 10 times before it will spray my windows or activate the wipers (which can make it very frustrating and dangerous to see the road especially driving on the slushy streets lately in Winnipeg). Could it be the contacts in the arm mounted switch (button) and would spraying a cleaner help or could it be in the contacts (wires) like you mention?

Old 02-15-2006, 10:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You can take the switch apart and clean them, and this'll fix your wipers and washers temporarily. The ultimate fix is to replace the switch though.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:20 AM
Fix here:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...1&showall=true

I've tried and tried to get this added to the "How-To" articles but it never makes it. Apparantly I haven't kissed the ring properly . . .

Trending Topics

Old 02-20-2006, 11:21 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by kgvickers
Fix here:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...1&showall=true

I've tried and tried to get this added to the "How-To" articles but it never makes it. Apparantly I haven't kissed the ring properly . . .

Probaly kissing the wrong ring.

Most likely, it's the annular ring thatneeds kissing...

Steve

Old 02-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by stevep65
I have 99 F-150 V-6 5 speed, out of no where I can be riding down the road and my windsheild wipers will come on for no reason. I seems that if I turn the wipers on after this happens then turn them off again they will shut off. It sounds like a short after soemthing gets warm but don't know where to start looking any ideas?

Steve5
An exorcism comes to mind!

Quick Reply: Windsheild Wpiers