!!Trailer Lights!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
!!Trailer Lights!!

I have a 1998 F150 4x4 . I have own the truck since 2000 and have never towed anything until now. The truck has the light connector at the bumper.. but does not work when plugged into the trailer. Now my son has a Ranger with the connector and his works fine. I did a search on the forum and read that a relay has to be added to the fuse box to activate power at the plug ??? true or false This is a factory plug...I guess its a towing package Please help...and THANKS

Old 11-28-2004, 06:06 PM
I have the same truck and have had the same problem.

There are 3 fuse boxes under the hood one small one that I did not see at first when i looked. On the drivers side closest to the fire wall. it has some black tape on it.

I had a blown fuse there. and it all worked after that!

That said, I have never got the parking lights to work off that plug?? And when the trailer is pluged in tyhe eletric break light is on and I don't or shouldn't have anything on the commector?
This is on my boat!

But on my camper, when I plug that in it all works except the parking light agin?? But the breaks work fine.

So I found most of the problem but not all.

Good luck I hope this helps!!

Old 11-28-2004, 06:51 PM
Thanks macojoe , Ill look for the fuse's tomorrow after work . Thanks for the fast reply .

Old 11-28-2004, 11:11 PM
If you have a center console, check under the cup holder and under the insert inside the console. There might be a bag in there with the relays, pigtail and instructions. this is where I found mine.

Old 11-29-2004, 10:53 AM
FYI, the 4 pin connector at the bumper is LIVE on a 98, ready to go from the factory. The pigtail referred to is probably the 7 pin that comes with the trailer tow package.

did you visually inspect the contacts on the 4 pin female?

On a 98, they are probably corroded so there is no electrical connection.

The harness on my 98 needed to be replaced in 2000 due to corrosion. This was the first time I needed mine so the harness cover had never been off until this point. And yet water still got in there.

Old 11-29-2004, 05:27 PM
Blown fuse in the fuse block under the hood drivers side at the fire wall. Thanks macojoe , I would have never found that one .

Old 11-29-2004, 05:33 PM
Your welcome!!

But I would have never know unless someone from here told me!! Just keeping the info running!! Thats what we are here for!

Someone else will need that info some day and you will be able to reply like me!!

I am glad I could help someone in return!

Old 01-11-2005, 11:21 PM
Spoke to a friend who knows someone at a local dealership...

He said that the blown fuse for the running lights under the hood is a very common problem...9 out of 10 it's because the trailer is plugged/unplugged w/ the engine still running.

Good advice is to always shut it down (engine) before connecting/disconnecting ANYTHING electrical....

Tony

Quick Reply: !!Trailer Lights!!