Dome Light, not beating a dead horse but....

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dome Light, not beating a dead horse but....

I recently bought a 98 f150, nice truck, but it does have some issues. I have a done a search on the dome light topic, but most of the cases I looked at it come on and stayed on, mine doesn't come on at all. I took the drivers side panel off (not easy to do by the way) took the connector loose from the switch, and plugged it into the new switch, still no light. My question is this, is this door sensitive, like if the switch is bad in the drivers side, will the light still work if you open the passenger side, because mine doesn't, do I need to change both sides, and should the light still work by rolling the dome light dial on the dash on? because mine doesn't. My map lights still do work, and I am pretty sure the bulb is still good. Basically my dome light will not come on at all. I also had the door ajar thing going on, but I think I fixed that with the lube job.
Thanks guys

Old 10-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Have you used a test light to see if you have power to the socket.

Old 10-08-2004, 09:06 PM
No, I sure haven't. does the dial on the dash run through the doors and then to the dome light, or does it have a seperate line to the dome light. I apologize for my ignorance, I'm not much of a mechanic.

Old 10-08-2004, 11:41 PM
pretty sure that in your year and model the door switch was for the ajar light and the dome light. If the switch was jacked up for a while maybe the dome light was on all of the time and burned out. Try a new bulb or check for power at the socket before you drive yourself crazy

Old 10-10-2004, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by bw99
No, I sure haven't. does the dial on the dash run through the doors and then to the dome light, or does it have a seperate line to the dome light. I apologize for my ignorance, I'm not much of a mechanic.
The door switches and the dash dial switch work independent
I doubt that both door switches and the dash switch all went bad. Might be a bad relayor ground, but as Pestco1 says.. check the dome light socket for voltage with the doors open or dash switch in the on position.

Old 10-10-2004, 07:37 AM
Question

How do you get to the switch on these things, on my 97 150 the dome light does not come on when the door is open, it does work on passenger side and also with dash switch.

Old 10-10-2004, 09:31 PM
ohh...smokin31..not an easy task, it's right down at the latch, you can't reach the darn thing for nothing, it's below the latch almost right behind the rubber trim that the window slides down in...good luck.

I almost think the switch is not my problem, My door ajar light problem was fixed with the lube job..How do I check at the bulb location...volt meter???

Trending Topics

Old 10-17-2004, 08:39 AM
light switch

bw99, are you telling me it's in the door? I've looked around where the door shuts against the body looking for the button sticking out like everything else I've had, I had about decided it was in the body between the hinges where that arm moves in and out when you move the door.
Thanks

Old 10-17-2004, 10:40 AM
Check the mounting screws in the dome light. The screws also act as the circuit connectors. There should be three screws. One for ground, one for door-open light, one for map lights. Maybe the previous owner intentionally removed the door-open screw.

Old 11-08-2004, 04:41 PM
Dome Light

Bet the bulb has burned out. The switches have a tendency to stick due to dirt and grime. Spray WD-40 into the door where the latching assembly hits the door pin until you see the WD-40 start to drip from the bottom of the door. Do this once a year and your problem will be over. Mine burned so long it fried the (cargo light - third brake light) housing to the point it cracked.

Old 11-08-2004, 07:35 PM
Unhappy dome light

Bw 99 I feel your pain.Most people that have the dome light issue have them staying on.Not us.I have a 1999 F-150 sc4x4 XLT.My problem is when I open either doors my dome light,door chimes and cargo light don't work.But I can still turn them on with the dash switch but keys have to be in the ignition.This rules out fuses,relay.dome light mounting screws and maybe door switches because it's hard to believe they would both not work.I done hours of research on my problem at many different sites.The most common reply I get is it is probably the door switches,use wd40.I probably used a whole can with no prevail.When I first started looking for answers my first reply said they think it might be my Gem(generic electronic module)could be right.If I take it to the dealer I'm probably looking at $400.00 plus to get it fixed.I don't care about the door chimes not working but I'd like my dome light back when I open my doors.If you find any answers let me no

Old 11-09-2004, 09:35 AM
what "numberonejumper" said!

It fixed two of my buddy's trucks with dome light problems. Now it's WD-40 to the rescue anytime one sticks. Just once, maybe twice a year soak that door latch!

Gene

Quick Reply: Dome Light, not beating a dead horse but....