both headlights blown at the same??

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
both headlights blown at the same??

Just wanted to find out if anyone else has ever experience the problem of having BOTH headlights blow at the same time? Driving back from work the other day, I noticed it was a little darker than normal, so I pulled off and noticed both headlights off, but parking lights on (and yes, the headlight switch was turned on). High beams and fogs worked.

Checked the fuses under the dash, and in engine bay - all ok. Check one bulb, looked good, took off fog light mod then dropped in the shop to see if there's a short or bad multiswitch (from "search" results). find out its just 2 burned out 'regular' headlights. so i replaced the bulbs with silverstars, but now, w/o the foglight mod splice attached, my fogs won't turn on. gonna check to see if the bulbs are ok before reinstalling splice, but what are the chances both of them are blown at the same time??

chris

Old 09-10-2004, 01:14 AM
Happens alot, but they generally don't go at the same time. One will go out but you might not notice for a while. When both go it is dark enough for you to notice.

Old 09-10-2004, 10:30 AM
well, reinstalled my foglight splice mod (high & fogs) and now the fogs work again. funny, before the mod, fogs turned on normally, now they won't turn out without the mod. so did i fry something doin' the mod?

Old 09-15-2004, 07:08 PM
Yes this can happen. It happened to me ealier this year. Some say its common but that's not my experience.

Old 09-16-2004, 01:45 AM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
I'm not saying it is your problem but a defective alternator that allows the voltage to go too high will cause shortened lamp life.
This can allow voltage to go upwards to 16 volts and in time dries up the battery electrolite and needs water at shorter intervals. If a no matainance battery, the battery has to be replaced.
The way to tell is if the lamps go noticably brighter from idle to a high idle or a rev up.

Quick Reply: both headlights blown at the same??