Door Locks Blowing Fuses

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door Locks Blowing Fuses

I've got a 2001 F150 that has blown the fuse on the power door locks three times in the last month. I've looked at all the threads regarding door locks and none of them mention blowing fuses.

The locks work fine if I just use the key fob but when I use the switch on the drivers door that seems to be when the fuse goes. I think it happens when I hit the unlock side of the switch but I'm not sure of that yet.

Anyone else having this problem or have any idea what the cause could be. The truck is 3 yrs old but still has less then 30,000 kms (18,600 m) on it.

Old 08-10-2004, 09:50 PM
Considering that the flow of electricity isn't limited by anything, the entire circuit, including the wires at the switch should be energized even when using the remote. I would think the problem is in your switch.

Old 08-12-2004, 02:32 AM
either the switch or its always possable that you broke the unlock wire in the door boot area where it has to flex alot. but i would think it would still blow the fuse with the fob. have you noticed if 1 door lock doesnt move when fuse blows? a shorted actuator could blow a fuse and still work with key fob if its the type where you hit fob once to unlock drivers door and you never hit it twice to unlock the other doors.

Old 08-12-2004, 08:48 AM
I use the key fob to unlock both doors quite a bit, meaning I press it twice and it seems to work fine doing that.

Yesterday I took the door switch apart right down to the contacts and I couldn't see any sign of burning. I assume if there was a short there would be a burnt mark where it shorted. I think I'll just keep putting in fuses until the offending part quits completely. Then I should know where to start fixing.

Thanks for the input.

Old 08-21-2004, 10:36 PM

Quick Reply: Door Locks Blowing Fuses