Will This Cause a Fire? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 12:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will This Cause a Fire? Help!

hooked up the new fuel pump tonight and I ran into a slight snag. the old stock pump had a connector, it as drenched but it was a shaped connector you know. Well this new one has spade terminals. I hooked them up with spade connectors. DO I need to worry about powering this thing up? Will it jump voltage and EXPLODE? Thanks. Heres a pic.

Old 07-25-2003, 05:59 AM
No, 12 volts will not jump. I would make some kind of a cover or shield for the connections though. If you don't you will be under your truck once a year (at least) to crimp new ends on.

Old 07-25-2003, 09:27 AM
Whoa!!! Are those the original wires? This is one area you want be darn sure of what you use. If you use the wrong wire type . Gas could melt the insulation and then maybe cause a spark. The insulators on the lugs may melt and end up where you don't want it.

Make sure the material you use is fuel proof. You can't be too careful here.

Old 07-25-2003, 09:48 AM
Like canyonslicker said make SURE everything is good, I would check with a mechanic. It may only be 12 volts but 12 volts can spark if loose connection etc. It don't matter the voltage it only takes a simple spark in the right condition and BOOM....

Old 07-25-2003, 09:51 AM
Even if it did spark you'd never get enough oxygen present to fuel a fire or explosion... but if you were going to use blades, you should have used the shielded ones. That would prevent any type of unwanted contact causing a short...

Old 07-26-2003, 07:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Derek8819 -

Unless you want to plan on going back in there for maintenace, I'd do the following:

Remove the crimp style connectors and get some solder type connectors. Soldering the connectors on is a fool proof way of getting a reliable, long-lasting connection. Also, if they have the little insulators on them, remove them. You don't have to worry: those are for people to pull on instead of pulling on the wire. They are not for insulation purposes.

What you need is a solid, reliable MECHANICAL connection. That is why the old factory harness had a plastic body (or connector) - to make sure the wires stay connected.

Also, stay away from the $.05 a piece connectors and spring for the type that "click" into place and are a little harder to pull off. you can get the better ones at some hardware stores. You'll know them because they are a lot more expensive than the cheapo sets at Auto Zone for $3.99.

Unless you are very experienced with knowing what materials are gasoline resistant, I would not add anything to "protect" or insulate the connectors. Again, they don't need it.

You might use something that ends up falling apart and then becomes an obstruction in the fuel pick-up.

Old 07-26-2003, 11:44 AM
Ok. heres what I got. I talked to the guy at meniki muffler and he says THESE are what he puts on his car and everyones they do. HE said they are nylon and they clicked into place. I think nylon is gas resistant. I like these since even if they did come un done (which coulndt happen) there is no way they could touch. These are also crimp ends, BUT I pulled on them as hard I could and they didnt come loose so I trust them. Tell me what you think.

Trending Topics

Old 07-26-2003, 02:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Looks good. Those are the exact connectors I was talking about. You can get the ones you have, and the company also makes the solder-type, without the insulators.

Long as you are sure they are on good and the nylon won't be affected by the gas, you are good to go.

Old 07-26-2003, 07:28 PM
Much better!

Quick Reply: Will This Cause a Fire? Help!