Window Woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Window Woes

New poster here. I would like to know if anyone has had any problems w/power windows? Specificly, blowing the relay for the one-touch-down button. I have a '98, 150 XLT, 4.6. I have taken the controls out to see if there were any signs of a short & didn't detect anything. Already replaced the relay once but it blew again!

Old 06-08-2003, 05:54 PM
I have a similar situation, except I took it to the 'stealer' for a buzzing noise which they said was the power window relay on my 1998 F-150 XLT. They replaced it and less then a mile down the road the problem came back. My windows do not work intermitantly. If anyone knows what the cause is that would be a great help.

Thanks,

Mike T.

Old 06-08-2003, 07:07 PM
Well, I have found what the problem IS, now if I can figure out how to get to it!
I've been messing around with it trying to get the fuse panel off, but had no luck. If I push on the panel, I hear a electrical "crackling" sound, as if something is trying to make contact, then the blasted thing started working again So I put everything back together and it still worked! Put the tools up, closed the door & had to try one more time. Damn! Pushed on the panel again..... working again!!!
At least now, I won't get caught w/my windows down!
Probably should go to the "stealer; " & see if they can get the blame thing connected right. Keep your fingers crossed!

Thanks,

Old 06-08-2003, 09:02 PM
The fuse block is somewhat aggrevating to remove due to the I think (3) large connectors that are fastened to the back of the panel. Each connector has a bolt that secures it to the fuse block.
You may want to try to tighten those up if they have gotten loose. If that does no good, then try to isolate exact area that you have to give a nudge against to make them work again. If it is an individual fuse, remove the fuse and bend the spade terminals away from each other to make the fuse have a similar comparison to a propeller on a boat, etc. Sometimes people use wire taps for phones, etc and causes the female connector that fastens to the fuse to spread apart. By adjusting the fuse, sometimes this is an inexpensive fix. If that is not the case, then it is likely that the fuse block may need to be replaced if no connectors are pushed out of the back of the block.

If you need anymore help, Let me know.
Keep me posted on this one please!!

Good Luck!!

FordMasterTech

Old 06-08-2003, 11:32 PM
Thanks, Tech, for the info.
I took three screws out that I thought held the fuse block in place, but it wouldn't budge. That's when I put it all back together again. If you know of any tricks to get it out, I would greatly appreciate it.
Is there another fuse, besides the relay, that controls the windows? My owners manual has no indication of one.
I will keep you posted on the outcome.

Old 06-09-2003, 10:47 PM
There are 4 bolts/screws that hold the fuse panel in place.
Two up top and two down low.. 10 mm (I think)
Remove these plus the 3 bulkhead connectors behind fuse panel and I must admit, it is aggrevating, to get out.
Wedge it toward the firewall and push up and slide it downward.
That's about the only way that I can remove it without removing all the skin from my knuckles.

Good Luck and keep me posted

FordMasterTech

Old 06-26-2003, 10:05 AM
I had a similar problem with the driver's side window. The relays on the fuse panel clicked on and off and the courtesy lights on the door panels flashed. The left window worked sometimes. Ford grounds the left door with a wire going all the way across to the right hand side of the vehicle. The controls on the left door were not grounded properly. I soldered a wire to the ground wire going into the left door power window switch and grounded it with a metal screw to the metal door frame on the left door. It solved the problem.

Trending Topics

Old 06-26-2003, 08:01 PM
Just an update.
I pushed on the fuse panel until I no longer heard the arc sound. It has been working ever since! (may have just jinxed myself ) Hopefully it will stay that way

Old 06-26-2003, 11:20 PM
Mine worked on and off for over a year before I found the problem. I hope yours doesn't do the same. Remember the ground wire. The snapping behind the fuse panel is just the relay clicking. A wire with alligator clips would be a fast way to find out if the ground on the left door is the problem. Good Luck.

Old 09-02-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by rbwapiti
Mine worked on and off for over a year before I found the problem. I hope yours doesn't do the same. Remember the ground wire. The snapping behind the fuse panel is just the relay clicking. A wire with alligator clips would be a fast way to find out if the ground on the left door is the problem. Good Luck.
rbwapiti,
I know this is alot later on this post, but I was just wondering if you had the same problem with the passenger side window as well, & if re-grounding fixed that side too?
I've just been lazy & not tore into it yet.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Window Woes