Stopping beep beep

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stopping beep beep

I find that you can't do anything on my new 2003 F150 without that idiot beep, beep ,beep reminding me. Anyone know how to kill it ?

Old 04-05-2003, 07:09 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Reminding you of what? Is it for the seatbelts, headlights le-ft on or door open with keys in ignition?

JMC

Old 04-05-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by mete
I find that you can't do anything on my new 2003 F150 without that idiot beep, beep ,beep reminding me. Anyone know how to kill it ?

Do you own a gun? Shoot it...

Old 04-06-2003, 11:55 AM
JMC, I would like to remove it completely if possible. But the immediate problem is that when I turn lights on , no key in ignition, it beeps ,have to turn on engine to stop. First time I tried it this morning it was ok but it was 20F, when it warmed up problem returned.

Old 04-06-2003, 11:56 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can definately kill the 'belt minder' feature. I've seen the procedure posted many times on here.

Try a search. It'll turn up!

RP

Old 04-06-2003, 10:03 PM
JMC

mete,

As far as I can tell 2002 and earlier trucks. Pull the light switch out and disconnect the biggest connector. It should be gray and look like a square U There should be 2 rows of female connectors(6 per row). If there is a white with red stripe wire that is the one that sends a lights on signal to the GEM. Put an ON/OFF switch on this wire or cut it.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 04-07-2003, 04:07 PM
JMC, thanks that works. How about the key in the ignition beep?

Old 04-07-2003, 04:14 PM
ok i forgot exactly how this works, but if you stick the key in the ignition and turn it backwards i think youll see like a hole open up if you look at it from below, theres supposed to be like a metal tab up there, take it out, cover it with take, anything, and it will stop. Ill have to double check this lemme go outside really quick and check, but its something like that.

Old 04-07-2003, 04:18 PM
here ya go

Turn your key to the run position,look under the steering column at the plastic cover just below the steering wheel and look for a hole that doesn't have a screw in it and it's just below the key area. If you take a small pocket screwdriver or something like that---push it up into the hole and it pushes a little "plunger" then pull out on your key and this should remove the whole key/tumbler. Now look inside the hole that was left by removing the tumbler and you will see a little metal tab sticking up that makes contact to the key and tumbler. You can either bend it down(but it is kind of spring metal) or you can cut it out of there. That's whats makes contact for the chime to work. If it ain't there----it won't chime. Now if you tear up something other then what I told you----please don't blame it on me. Hope this helps.

Thats from a guy that works at ford. I dont have a flashlight so i cant see whats going on up there

Ok i just did it, its easy, and if you do this method, itll still beep if you leave your lights on but thats it.

Last edited by grinomyte; 04-07-2003 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:39 PM
JMC

mete,

1 Insert the ignition key and turn to the RUN position.

2 Insert a punch in the access hole of the steering column and press the release tab while pulling out the ignition switch lock cylinder.

3 Remove the key-in-ignition warning switch by Prying the clip down and pushing the key-in-ignition warning switch off the rear of the ignition switch lock cylinder.

4 Reverse order to intall.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 04-09-2003, 05:41 PM
Thanks, glad Ijoined the forum. Fixed the seat belt and lights but couldn't do the ignition but the dealer did. The silence is great. My next project is to install amatuer radio gear. The biggest problem there was the notorious fuel pump which put out lots of electronic noise. But I found that Ford finally fixed the problem, they now come with a filter already there.

Old 04-14-2003, 09:59 AM
Guys - I followed your directions on removing the "dinging" with the keys in the ignition, but I could not get it to stop!!! Essentially I want to be able to listen to the radio with the ignition switch turned to the "accessory" position and leave the driver's door open without hearing that awful dinging!!! I removed the little tab left inside the hole - still dings. I pulled off the orange thing with the metal tabs on the lock cylinder - still dings!! I will follow with some pictures that I took - what am I doing wrong??!!!!

Old 04-15-2003, 11:40 AM
Does anyone know if this will affect the PATS ?

Old 04-15-2003, 12:12 PM
try taping it lightning, you might still just be making contact someplace. I dont know but i dont think itll affect pats. However you can use masking or electical tape to make it reversable.

Old 04-15-2003, 08:38 PM
OK ,
I can stop the dinging in the off position but it will still ding in other areas .

My question is this......Where is the dinger transducer? Can I just unplug it or will I need to shunt the connections with a resistor or inductor or both? WTF it can't be too hard to just unplug the darn thing altogether.

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Stopping beep beep