Question about DTC P1270

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about DTC P1270

Hey.
I was looking through my Ford service manual (to find out whats wrong with my truck) and I came across something that made a light bulb appear over my head. (it was kind of weird!) I was reading about the rpm/speed limiter. It says that the pcm records (in continuous memory) the DTC P1270. I was wondering if this would be recorded with a Superchip in. I wouldn't think so. I would guess that the information sent to the pcm would be bypassed, or something, to allow the preset limits to be exceeded. I am not worried either way. I know how to reset the pcm (as most of us do)(assuming that this clears continuous memory), and even if the dealer did get that code, it really doesn't matter untill I'm in with a warranty claim. Just wondering.

The original reason for going to the service manual was to see if I could find out why my truck cranked several times before actually starting. (I did mention this in the Engins section but there was no info given) It did this intermittantly (before and after the blower) but had reacently got worse. I reset the pcm about a week ago and it seems ok now. I would just like to know where to start looking if it happens again. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Tom

Old 04-24-2002, 01:30 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Tom,

Hmm, hard starting, or an abnormally long crank time can be caused by any number of things......... a crank position sensor can be a particularly aggravating culprit to track down, for example, I've had that happen. At no time did it ever set a DTC, but it was a failing crankshaft position sensor.

This could be anything from EGR to fuel filter to a crank sensor, etc., so it's going to take some troubleshooting, to be sure. You already know that by now, so that isn't much help.

If you like, feel free to give us a call, I'll be happy to go over this a bit with you, to see if perhaps we can be of help or not.

Quick Reply: Question about DTC P1270