Mike Troyer

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike Troyer

Hi Mike,

Tim here. I had my chip reburned a few weeks ago and I understand that I have the J-49 and J-69 programs.

Yesterday, when making a quick turn into a parking lot at idling speed, my engine died. It started right back up and I continued on without another incident but I noticed that my RPM's were at very close to 600 when idling in drive. Is this normal? I'm thinking that the RPM's should me more like 750 or so.

Also, on the 1/8th mile strip, on street tires, I ran a 8.54 with a 1.90 60 foot before the reburn. The reason for the reburn was that I installed JDM longtubes, cats, 4# pulley. I went back to the strip and only ran an 8.43 with the exact same 60 foot time. I was expecting more. Could there be something wrong with my chip or am I expecting too much?

Let me say this though, there was a 40 degree difference in temperature between the two runs (several weeks apart). It was 40 degrees cooler when I ran the 8.54. Then I install headers, cats, pulley, and reburn and run only 11/100th's of a second quicker.

I'll list all of my mods at the bottom of the page. I know that heat affects performance but other people with the same mods are running 2 tenths faster on street tires with slower 60 foot times. It's seems to me that I'm loosing some time at or near the end of the run. It pulls like crazy and I think I'm flying till I get the timeslip.

I'm running 93 Octane Amoco fuel and buy it from one particular station only. Do you have any thoughts on what might possibly be wrong?

Thanks,

Tim Lazenby.... PS. I race on 18" F1's.

My Mods "Chikenears" 2001 Lightning.

Superchip Flip Chip, J-49, J-69
4# JDM Caged Pulley
JDM Cold Air Intake Kit
JDM Long Tube Stainless Headers, High Flow Cats
Bassani Cat-back system
JDM Line Mod Valve
4X4 Transmission pan & filter/fluid pickup extension
Boost By-pass unplugged
Crankcase pressure breather cap
Denso Plugs
JDM/Rancho Traction bars
3/2 Bell Tech Drop
20" Foose Spank 5 Wheels, Dunlop Sport 9000 295/40/20
SS Grill
Bullit fuel door
Billetandacrylic.com Chikenears emblems
LFP Driveshaft loop
Bell Tech 3/4 Drop
Doetsch Tech Nitro Active shocks
BedRug

Old 04-24-2002, 02:39 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello Tim,

I'm happy for you that you have done all this work to your truck, though I must admit I am surprised based on our discussions some time ago.

I see a number of obvious issues and other potential problems. If you'd like to give us a call we can provide professional consultation.

You have made (as just about all of us have done over the years!) a very common and perhaps the single most basic mistake one can make when attempting to evaluate performance improvements resulting from modifications; trying to compare elapsed times run at the drag strip on different days, that never works. You could very easily have run *slower* rather than having run a little bit quicker that last time out. Never compare times run on different days, as the weather alone is never identical on different days, which affects power output quite a bit.

Unless you are up at high altitude or running uphill, that truck should be running significantly quicker, at least very low 8's in the 1/8th mile, and it should run that on the lower performance program on Side 1 of the Flip Chip. Side 2 should easily be even quicker.

For example, on my most conservative program, which is set up for towing on 90 octane, I ran easy 8.20's (1.8 60 ft. times) thru stock exhaust and at lower boost, in full Summer heat with temps in the 90's, on the stock F1's. While there is certainly some variance from one truck to the next, you should be running quicker times, I agree.

If you would like to work with us on this, we can get your truck running quicker, just give us a call when you get a chance, Tim!

Old 04-24-2002, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Mike,

I'm going to the strip tomorrow night with the weather considerably cooler than it was on my last run. I'll see what it does then and call you to see if we can figure out what the problem is.

Oh yeah, as for the conservative tune that I originally asked for, that has changed with time. I feel like gambling a little now!

Tim

Quick Reply: Mike Troyer