Another Edge Evolution CS2 review...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 11:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another Edge Evolution CS2 review...

I bought a refurbished Edge HT for my '08 F150 HD. All the reading I did on it said it would work on almost any gas Fords from '99-08. It didn't. Mine has too new a calibration in it, apparently, for the HT to work on. So I bought a good used Evo CS2 from a local guy on Facebook right before I went on vacation from Montana to Wisconsin. Hooked it up to the laptop and the Fusion program downloaded the latest and greatest updates. I didn't notice that the Evo said it was a diesel version until it was too late. $140 and another download later, it was ready to use on my truck. For those that don't know, for $140, you can download the programming on the Evo CS2 to switch from diesel to gas, or vice versa. Thankfully. 😂😂
I originally got it for better mileage and to reset the tire size so my speedometer was correct again (went from stock 245/70-17 to 285/70-17).
I loaded the 87 octane tune, with some trans shift adjustments I found on here, and headed to Wisconsin. At my first fill up 110 miles away, I noticed there was a difference in power and shifting, both to my liking. When I filled up, low and behold, an increase in mileage with it! Before the Evo, highway mileage was stuck around 11.5 - 12.5mpg. That stretch I got 13.7. Not a bad increase with a bump in power and torque! Then I switched it up to the 91 tune, just to see. All I gotta say is.....holy crap! She's a totally different beast, power-wise! I likey!
The true test was how it would affect the mileage on the hot tune. After a couple of tankfuls of non-ethanol 91, I started really scoping my mileage. 13.5 was the lowest mpgs I got with the hot tune. Then I played with the settings a bit and revised the 91 tune. I bumped WOT fuel from 1.10 to 1.30. Trans upshift mph I went 2, 4, and 6. Firmness I set at +10 across the board. The air filter setup I changed from stock to K&N CAI (I have the stock setup with a K&N drop in). Even better! Snappier throttle response and more power, according to my butt dyno. On the way home Saturday, I was pulling 15.5 mpgs while keeping the speedo at 70mph the whole way.
All I can say is, the Edge Evo CS2 did me a huge favor with the added power AND better mileage. Now, I just wish I could find a reputable company that does custom tunes for it without sending it in...

Old 01-07-2019, 09:35 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
If PHP is no longer doing custom tunes for Edge devices, your only choice is sending it in.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:56 AM
I haven't actually checked with PHP, yet. From what I was reading on here, they stopped doing it a couple years ago. But with them, you still had to send it in so they could change the programming to their gryphon program. I was hoping for a quicker, easier way. Who else does/did the programming besides PHP for the Edge models?

Old 01-07-2019, 11:09 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm not positive about this, but I don't think anyone can do custom tunes for the Edge CS2. This is due to a restriction placed by Edge on that device. I know that's why PHP stopped writing tunes for it. You might check with 5-Star to see if they could do it.

- Jack

Old 01-07-2019, 11:22 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I think Jack is correct.

Unfortunately, Edge is not a device to buy if you want custom tunes. The shops recommended here use SCT.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:52 AM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
while I do expect you will get a MPG bump....were you previously calculating your mpg using your 285 tires and an uncorrected speedo? as a 2" jump in tires is going to put you 8% off...so you have actually traveled 216 miles while your tripometer shows 200 miles. Just making sure to compare apples to apples

Old 01-08-2019, 09:06 AM
Fbird, I was actually calculating my mileage adjusted for difference in tire size. I used 10% for my calculations, which although not exact, gave me a pretty close figure. 😉

Quick Reply: Another Edge Evolution CS2 review...