Will it screw my truck up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will it screw my truck up?

My truck, 04 super crew with superchip 1714 (old )

It has a harsh shifting from 3 to 2 at approx 25 mph and 45-50 mph when I floor it to speed up fast.

I checked tsb and there's one so I made an appt for this Saturday for TSB issue 05-10-12 harsh shifting so I just return tune to stock today.

This Saturday After ford update my truck PCM...

I'm afraid to set it tune to 87 performer and will it harm system/transmission PCM ?

Any tips? Advice ?

Thanks
Jake

Old 07-16-2014, 06:57 PM
I'm only going to relay what my transmission guy told me...and I may have learned this the hard way.

Canned tuners- fine for the motors, but will likely cause harm to trannys when used long term especially with firmer shifting and increased RPM/shift points. They simply allow too much pressure to build up. If a tune is custom and well-written to compensate for this, fine- but we are talking a pretty spendy program over the canned versions.

Now granted, with 120K on my tranny, it may have been just a coincidence that after I messed with firmness and shift points mine went out soon after. Maybe I helped it along. I can't say. I'm just relaying what I was told and given that I am running a 6" lift and 4x4, why do I need to worry about some speed and giddy-up? If I were set up for the street, different story maybe.

Take that as you will- I am certainly no transmission ace. I'm not fit to carry the socks of a transmission ace. Just relaying what I was told- and if I do install tranny tuning, he would not honor the 2 year warranty. My guy used to even sell the tuners and stopped.

FWIW.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:27 PM
I see...

I have NOT messing with firm etc just tuned it to 87 set by troyer performer superchip.

It's funny..I just got back from riding around and tested. Nnow it's much smooth shifting 3-2 downshift after return to stock...

It never happens since 2005 until I noticed harsh 3-2 downshift 2 weeks ago.

Should I try re tune it to 87 and see what happen?

I'm thinking maybe cancel the appt for this Saturday.

Thanks

Old 07-16-2014, 08:41 PM
Well, i set tuner back to 87 but only i adjusted is shift press down to 14 psi at all three and its much better and no more harsh im happy now.

My friend think it might just need to re tuner thats all

Ill post again If it comes back with same issue

Thanks

Old 07-16-2014, 10:48 PM
glc
Received 769 Likes on 710 Posts
I would completely return it to stock and leave it alone.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:30 AM
Originally Posted by glc
I would completely return it to stock and leave it alone.
sound advice, I'd say

Quick Reply: Will it screw my truck up?