Southern Speed Inc (SSI) 5.0 T-rex tune!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 06:54 PM
rok
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southern Speed Inc (SSI) 5.0 T-rex tune!

Here are my posts about it on the SSI forum. If anyone wants more info just ask! You want to wake up that 5.0 with reliable unmatched power and better mpg yet that nice drivablity for cruising around town? Well you want and need the SSI 5.0 T-Rex tune.

This is the Beta tune!

Well fellas I tested it and its all that and a bag of chips! This was a base file too But yah know that smooth shifting the eco guys are talking about? yea we got that! I forgot to get my gear display back up after loading and had to hit it quick cause i had no clue what gear i was in! Its that damn smooth. The thing pulls and that point where your cruising and you need to hit it that downshift happens in a split second. It was a quick downshift in T4 but wow i didnt think it could be any quicker. I need to do more testing and timed runs cause its so smooth its hard to tell how much faster than the T4 it really is. I know it is faster but that smoothness throws you off like the Eco guys have said. Oh and Shawn already read the logs and my knock was almost non-existent. That means my truck can handle a lot more! So I have a polished tune waiting to test.The tune i tested was a base tune fellas.Needed to make sure it would run good first. It did so with how good that base tune was I am ****ing excited. I will get that tested later tonight or tomorrow but you 5.0 guys who have waited patiently it was worth the wait. Oh and I will be taking my truck to the 1/4 soon so Not promising great numbers as this is my first time. But you will be able to get a good idea. Maybe get it dynoed next week too. I know its not all about the dyno numbers but it still would be nice to know since I know the drive-ability is there and it has gobs and gobs of power!

Here is my post after testing the Polished tune! Oh and there will be another more polished tune as my truck can take much more after reading the datalogs. Shawn always gives you a reliable base tune to start them we customize from there. Truly custom tunes people!

Guys I tested the polished tune Shawn sent me! You 5.0 guys wont be disappointed. So freaking smooth!!!! Even at part throttle it gets up and goes so nice! With the T4 it upshifted quickly. Most people liked this. I liked it but thought it shifted a lil too soon from 2nd to 3rd for my liking. Well no issues here. No again that was a personal preference. It does upshift quick like before but it does it smooth and each gear has more power. It gets you up to speed quick and your not wishing for it to stay in any gear longer as we know the 5.0 likes to be revved. I love the drivability as I do a lot of city driving and i need good part throttle power! It has it guys so much more than the T4. But again that downshift is so quick and smooth when you need that WOT power! It is there. Now as far as MPG I been doing to much throttle mashing to give any solid numbers. I will get back to you. But as always with my SSI tunes I dont doubt they will be consistent with pretty good overall mpg! I have never gotten less than stock mpg and usually always get more! I will get some 0-60 #s and next week I should be hitting the 1/4 and hopefully get yal a dyno too! Seriously fellas this is better than T4! If you want amazing drivability Part throttle and that awesome WOT that SSI always delivers but better than T4 get this **** ordered!!!!

Old 08-10-2014, 01:18 PM
SSI now has new Gen2 tunes for the 5.0 and the Ecoboost. Smooth with deceiving power. I've been a member here for several years, just never posted.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:07 PM
KPC
Yes You got that right! I got the new Gen2 for my 5.0 1 week ago. I also posted my take on it in this same section under the older thread DewserB started Southern speed looks like folks LOVE it! bds09 you are exactly right. I am running the 87 now, but am planning on switching to the 93 this week. I can't believe how my truck runs on the 87 tune. Its like getting a supercharger, its that noticeable when you step on it, But it is so darn smooth when regular driving and shifting. You can tell whats under your foot, feels like the old drive by a cable/accelerator. Truck feels so much lighter as it moves! Awesome tune by SSI.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
glad they got the 5.0 tunes right (hopefully) .. Been alot of blown motors with the Eb in the past with their tuning

Old 08-10-2014, 11:38 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
glad they got the 5.0 tunes right (hopefully) .. Been alot of blown motors with the Eb in the past with their tuning
^^^ This.

I wouldn't take an SSI tune if they were free. The "owner" has been told several times by customers who data logged his tunes that there were serious knock issues. As is the proprietor's typical response, he'd curse the CUSTOMERS, publicly ridicule them, flat-out ignore them, etc. Predictably, several motors have been blown as a result.

I don't care if the fastest ecoboost was SSI tuned (it's not... MPT holds that distinction ), I wouldn't have their tunes. Period. Even if they were great, reliable tunes (evidence shows they're very suspect, at the very least), the owner is a tool bag. That's enough reason for me to stay away.

Last edited by DewserB; 08-11-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:16 PM
KPC
Tunes

Originally Posted by DewserB
^^^ This.

I wouldn't take an SSI tune if they were free. The "owner" has been told several times by customers who data logged his tunes that there were serious knock issues. As is the proprietor's typical response, he'd curse the CUSTOMERS, publicly ridicule them, flat-out ignore them, etc. Predictably, several motors have been blown as a result.

I don't care if the fastest ecoboost was SSI tuned (it's not... MPT holds that distinction ), I wouldn't have their tunes. Period. Even if they were great, reliable tunes (evidence shows they're very suspect, at the very least), the owner is a tool bag. That's enough reason for me to stay away.

Hey DewserB, I have alot of respect for all of you here. And MPT and 5Satr. I talked with MPT and 5star and felt like they were both great choices as I was leaning toward MPT. Then others recommended SSI and I talked to Shawn and some others that have been running his tunes (5.0) mostly for several thousand miles and they were happy with no issues according to them. I also went over to the thread where you mentioned SSI about a year ago, and i took a look too.
I don't have a horse in this race, i just gave my take on the tunes he sent me. And Shawn has treated me personally with respect and called me back every time I called him to answer my questions and shipped my X4 preloaded next day delivery to me. My truck doesn't ping or anything and runs smooth as silk.
Now I understand your Take as I started finding some old threads with a lot of drama. Ford has had a lot of issues with the eco and has changed strategy a lot as all tuners have told me. I do not race my truck and never will. I hope that I never develop problems from tuning and I may just return my vehicle back to stock as this kinda now makes me a little nervous. I plan on data logging it to see where it is. MPT did I see have a 2 door tremor truck with meth injection 3.73 gears run a 12.9 and where a stock 4 wd 4 door truck tuned by SSI ran a 13.1. I would say that both are the fastest tuned ecos in their configurations of comparisons. And one thing too, some people like to take their trucks to the track and have the fastest tune, and really push the envelope on stock components. There is a guy over on f150forum right now and he just had a spark plug damaged doing a burnout running a 5 star Race tune. Is that 5stars fault? I am not defending the character of anyone, but not all engine failures are the result of the tuning alone. As may not be the case in this one. When you add more power,turbos,superchargers and push it, chances for more issues to happen exist and you guys got me thinking a lot more about it. So don't take this wrong, I thank you all make a valid point and something to really think about.:thinkhttp://www.f150forum.com/f70/piston-hit-spark-plug-my-coyote-5-0-a-269474/

Old 08-11-2014, 08:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great information guys, keep it coming. I have considered a SSI tune in the past and spoken to Shawn a couple of times and have been treated with respect each time. I have a 2009 crew 4x4 5.4 but he assured me he could wake it up - safely. Anyway, I have not bought one of his tunes....yet. I had kept up with the SSI thread on F150forum until last winter so I didn't know about the EB's blowing up. Part of me expects some motors to go splat because owners will push them however some motors are just going to grenade regardless and for unknown reasons.

I love my MPT race tune and would love for Mike to pop in here and comment - not slam SSI by any stretch but just to comment on tuning and safety in general. A simple description/overview of their own tuned EB may help those who are looking at tuning but shying away due to potential issues. I would like to know how many passes Mike has on his highly tuned EB, MPG, broken parts (if any), and total mileage.

I think we would all benefit. I have not talked to Shawn since the fall but I never got the impression he was out to f()C%$ver anyone.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:38 PM
KPC
I may in time try a MPT tune as to compare down the line. But what I want is a smooth shifting nice powerful truck across the band, really what I have now. What I mean like I told Shawn, I do not want to break the tranny or rear end, just nice and smooth and safe and not past the 6K rpm's and he did deliver that. I did put some more 87 in my truck at shell and I had a little valve chatter on the passenger side today on my way home from fueling. This is a issue I had back in january under the stock tune. I changed from real unbranded gas to shell then. So I think i will return it to stock and see if it still does it. I thought that was gone. Could be tune related and could be a continuing underlying problem. Anyone else experience any valve chatter mostly going up hill under light acceleration? Seems to clear up as i accelerate harder. Thanks

Old 08-12-2014, 02:12 PM
I have been a member of this forum for several years, have really never posted here. I have had SSI tunes since Shawn started offering them over a year ago. In fact I got one of his first tunes. He's always treated me with respect and have really never had a problem with any of his tunes. The only time I had a problem with hard shifts I called him, and within 15 minutes I had a revised tune with smoother shifts. On the topic of blown motors, all the SSi tuned trucks with blown motors where blown at less than 2000 rpms, which indicates they were going to blow even with the stock tune. Tunes only blow motors at or near WOT. Low rpm block or rod failures would have happened tuned or not.
All were repaired under warranty, no one was refused warranty coverage. I have been SSI tuned now for almost 20K miles with absolutely no problems with greater power, better idling, better driveability, and better mileage than stock or the SCT canned tunes.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:18 PM
Anyone notice these people that are sticking up for SSI are all Jr Members with less than 5 post's?

Old 08-12-2014, 06:25 PM
Anyone notice these people that are sticking up for SSI are all Jr Members with less than 5 post's?

This is the main reason I've rarely posted here even though I've been a member for over 4 years.

And the ones that gripe the loudest have no experience with what they are griping about.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by bds09
This is the main reason I've rarely posted here even though I've been a member for over 4 years.

And the ones that gripe the loudest have no experience with what they are griping about.
I dont want the ssi experience..I can give you 50 links of people in the last 6 months with blown engines or horrible experiences with the owner. I want members on here to know that ssi has problems tuning the eb's and there is proof of it.. as i stated before maybe they nailed the 5.0 engine on tuning and if so great.

Im finished with this thread, i justed wanted to let eb owners know there are safer alternatives to tuning, like 5 Star, Mpt and Let..

Old 08-12-2014, 09:13 PM
Your loss and by the way all the tuners had blown engines this winter and spring, including all the above.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:31 PM
I dont want the ssi experience..I can give you 50 links of people in the last 6 months with blown engines or horrible experiences with the owner. I want members on here to know that ssi has problems tuning the eb's and there is proof of it.. as i stated before maybe they nailed the 5.0 engine on tuning and if so great.

Im finished with this thread, i justed wanted to let eb owners know there are safer alternatives to tuning, like 5 Star, Mpt and Let..
I have been running SSI tunes on my eco for a little more than a year and have had no problems have tried Mpt but with SSI tunes have better driver ability, better shifting, better power, better mpg. I have talked to Shawn the owner on the phone several times and I was treated with RESPECT. If you treat him with respect he will treat you with respect.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:45 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
KRC has my vote....

I've also read the ssi horror stories....

Last edited by 88racing; 08-13-2014 at 12:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Southern Speed Inc (SSI) 5.0 T-rex tune!