Loading a Tune Revision

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Loading a Tune Revision

I have the SCT Livewire on my '11 Lariat 6.2. I've done some searching but haven't really found an answer. I have a 91 performance tune and a 91 Tow tune. I've been having an issue with the Tow tune delivering power on an incline, so I sent Mike at 5Star an Email describing the problem. He sent me a Tow Rev1.cef file, with links on how to update and load it onto my Livewire. I understand how to load the file and name it. The question I have - Is this an additional Tow tune that I will be adding to the Livewire? Or is it a "Revised" file that adds itself to the current Tow tune? Other than knowing how to press buttons, my knowledge of computers is limited. . Thanks........

Old 11-14-2013, 12:21 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
the tow and performance tunes are seperate as you previously indicated...

so overwrite the existing one for the revision

Old 11-14-2013, 04:36 PM
Cool

I'm sorry, but I don't understand that. I mean, I know what "overwrite" means, just not how it works, or how it's done here. I bought the Livewire from 5-Star with the tunes already on it that I requested. I have never loaded a tune before, so this is all new to me. This kind of stuff I have to read several times, and then I still don't really quiet get it, just follow the directions and hope it works. So, does loading it Overwrite the current Tow tune?, or just add another Tow tune to the Livewire?

Old 11-14-2013, 04:48 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to load the new tune from 5* to the devise. It will have a new file name so it will be different then your current Tow tune. Then you can load it to your truck and drive it

Old 11-14-2013, 08:04 PM
Cool

OK, so then it is a new Tow tune. I update the firmware, then name and upload the file, and use it as a new Tow tune. So now I will have my original two tunes, plus this new Tow tune.....

Old 11-14-2013, 09:14 PM

why update the firmware?

yes if you save this revision in a new slot then you'll have all three tunes BUT if it'sa revision, then I'd overwrite the existing file so you don't load it accidently

Old 11-15-2013, 09:22 AM
Cool

OK then, I said it wrong. Like I said I don't know these things. It does what ever it "does" when I hit "update". Then, I load the tune revision, right? I got a email back from 5-Star this morning and it said to load it as a new tune. So I clicked the icon on my desk top and it Self updated. Now I click on "load custom tune file" and the side window opens up in it. But it is too small to see everything. So I tried to make it bigger by clicking a corner and dragging it, and it will not get any bigger. So now I am unable to do anything because I can only see half of what is in there, and I can't see the browse button to click on it. I have emailed SCT for a solution and am waiting for their response.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Cool

I've been emailing back and forth with the support and SCT trying to get this thing loaded, and I am having a heck of a time. I figured out how to get the updater window maximized. Now the problem is that half the "buttons" in the upload tune file window will not work. I put the emailed file onto my desk top and opened up the updater. I clicked on Load custom tune file, then hit browse and went to the desk top and highlighted it and hit open. Now it appears in the left window that says "available tunes", but the >> or the << buttons will not work. The only ones that will highlight and work are "browse", "locate custom tunes", and "back". I am awaiting a response from SCT about this problem.

Ok, so No real help from Tech Support at this point. Maybe they don't understand me. So I took a chance. If I screwed it up, so be it, 650.00 down the drain. I clicked and brought up the updater window, clicked on "Load custom tune file" and the screen that comes up is different than what all the directions describe. What is described is that at the top of that window is a box with the browse button, that is where you put the email file. Then there are suppose to be three boxes under that, where you name the files with the little blue dots on the left. There is not. What is there is a window to the left that says "Available tunes". Then to the right of that is another box that says "On Device". In between them, is a button for ">>" and one for "<<" just below that. Completely different. So, I put my tune into the left window. Just by chance I highlight it and the ">>" and "<<" are now highlighted. So I click on ">>" and the tune now appears to the right in the "On Device" window. So now the "Program" button is highlighted, so I click it. Now the new file is listed as an "On Device" file. So Now I assume I have successfully loaded the new file onto the Livewire. I don't know why, but this seemed to stump tech support. They wanted me to give them remote access, which I was about to do when this all happened. I will update with their reply to this one.....

Last edited by Scarlet; 11-15-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:09 PM

so you loaded the revision into the device, did you load it into the truck?

I can totally relate with why they wanted to remote into your computer, it's hard to understand what you are describing

Old 11-16-2013, 07:20 AM
Cool

First I want to say thanks for your suggestions. But Yea, I know. I can only describe what I see, and not really knowing what I'm looking at, or knowing the correct phrases makes it hard. But I feel I described the screen well enough, more than once that Tech Support should of known what I was describing to them. This is their product and all "tech support personal" should know the product. They were stumped. The last reply I received (prior to them wanting access) was "here, maybe this will help", with a link to the directions for loading email files, which I have saved as a PDF on my computer, and have read "a lot". In all of the directions on the SCT website., not a one described, or had a picture of what was in front of me. In a bit I am going to use my camera, take pictures of the screen from the updater, and post it here. Then you can see what I am trying to describe.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:31 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarlet
First I want to say thanks for your suggestions. But Yea, I know. I can only describe what I see, and not really knowing what I'm looking at, or knowing the correct phrases makes it hard. But I feel I described the screen well enough, more than once that Tech Support should of known what I was describing to them. This is their product and all "tech support personal" should know the product. They were stumped. The last reply I received (prior to them wanting access) was "here, maybe this will help", with a link to the directions for loading email files, which I have saved as a PDF on my computer, and have read "a lot". In all of the directions on the SCT website., not a one described, or had a picture of what was in front of me. In a bit I am going to use my camera, take pictures of the screen from the updater, and post it here. Then you can see what I am trying to describe. :(
Perhaps you should have done that sooner - including sending same to SCT.

If you lack the vernacular, visuals are always the first step in achieving communications - this was true throughout history

For all you know it's not the product but some issue / app conflict / config on yer 'puter. Details on O/S, etc? Can you try another pc?

Lookin' forward to seeing these screenshots ( btw you don't need a camera - just capture screenshots natively using the Snipping tool or Windoes itself: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...reen=windows-7).

Old 11-16-2013, 08:01 AM
Cool

Yea, like I said, I don't know this stuff. you know. I was trying to get the issue fixed. Yea, I could of sent a picture at the time. But I didn't think of that because I was so frustrated. And I don't know how to "snippet". So please don't make fun of me. So, here is what I was describing to tech support. Easy enough to describe? But they were hooked on what was suppose to be there, not what was. I couldn't get the screen to come up because the Livewire was not connected. But after looking at it for so long, I know it well......

OOPs, in the box "Locate tune file" should read "locate custom tunes"

Last edited by Scarlet; 11-16-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:14 AM
Yea, like I said, I don't know this stuff. you know. And I don't know how to "snippet". So please don't make fun of me. So, here is what I was describing to tech support. Easy enough to describe? But they were hooked on what was suppose to be there, not what was. I couldn't get the screen to come up because the Livewire was not connected. But after looking at it for so long, I know it well......
Wasn't making fun of you. Was attempting to help. We are all adults here, correct? Except for that one feller from R.I.

The drawing does not really cut it - grab a screenshot an post it up.

In Win 7: Start > All Programs > Accessories > Snipping Tool

Just drag a box around the section of screen you want to 'snip', and copy as ajpeg file. Add that jpeg to your albums or Photobucket or whatever else you use, and post the image here. You can just drop the snipped image in the clipboard into the email body you send to SCT.

Or - hit Print Screen key, open Paint and paste it - save as jpeg and follow as above to post it.

Either way works and is not difficult. Extend a bit - you'll only be helping yerself. The "I dunno how" dawg don't hunt in my backyard - not when folks are giving you the simple how-to's.

I suppose you can just allow remote access - but you will not learn as much.

BTW - this HAS worked before on this same pc? Did you change anything recently config-wise? Turn off Java, f'rinstance? lol

Again - try another pc - Troubleshootin' 101. Quickest way to determine next steps.

+++++++++++++++

UPDATE:

Yer chikkin-scratch indicates no available tunes?

Is yer device a recent -gen X3 able to hold up to 6-10 tunes, or is it older-gen with only 3 slots? Tried freeing up a slot, then loading the new file? EDIT ne'rmind - just realized it's a Livewire, lol

AND - there's always the Tutorial, lol: http://www.sctflash.com/support/inde...cleid=25&nav=0

EDIT: Another tutorial: http://www.morepowertuning.com/howtoloadtunes

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 11-16-2013 at 08:44 AM. Reason: me dumb chit, lol
Old 11-16-2013, 08:47 AM
Cool

Most of what you described is gobble dee goook to me. Sorry The Livewire is brand new and holds up to ten tunes. I didn't show the actual screen because it's in the truck, and I don't want to go thru the process of going out and programing and turning it back to stock, then bring it in, hook it up to the computer, then take it back out to reprogram the truck again. In the picture, try to imagine , I clicked on "browse", found the tune file on my desk top, clicked it and it appears in the window to the left of the browse button. I click on it and it appears in the "available tunes" box. I click on it and it highlights blue. Now the ">>" and the "<<" buttons will work. So I click on ">>" and the tune now appears in the "on device" box to the right. Now the "program" button will highlight. So I click the "program" button and now it has loaded onto the Livewire. It was really that simple. But not seeing this screen in any directions from the SCT website, tech support not being able to help, and no one here seemed to understand what I was trying to describe . But I do appreciate, sincerely, the suggestions and attempts to help me

Old 11-16-2013, 10:07 AM
Most of what you described is gobble dee goook to me. Sorry The Livewire is brand new and holds up to ten tunes. I didn't show the actual screen because it's in the truck, and I don't want to go thru the process of going out and programing and turning it back to stock, then bring it in, hook it up to the computer, then take it back out to reprogram the truck again. In the picture, try to imagine , I clicked on "browse", found the tune file on my desk top, clicked it and it appears in the window to the left of the browse button. I click on it and it appears in the "available tunes" box. I click on it and it highlights blue. Now the ">>" and the "<<" buttons will work. So I click on ">>" and the tune now appears in the "on device" box to the right. Now the "program" button will highlight. So I click the "program" button and now it has loaded onto the Livewire. It was really that simple. But not seeing this screen in any directions from the SCT website, tech support not being able to help, and no one here seemed to understand what I was trying to describe . But I do appreciate, sincerely, the suggestions and attempts to help me
I don't know what to say to this ...

You:

- don't want to provide images to SCT, at least ( don't say 'Can't')
- haven't tried a different pc
- haven't uninstalled / reinstalled the app
- haven't said if/if not this ever worked before
- won't allow remote access
-
-
... And the definition of doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is ...?

Seems to me yall really ain't conflicted enough for this to be a priority.

MGD Out.

Quick Reply: Loading a Tune Revision