5 Star SCT X3 ordering questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 Star SCT X3 ordering questions

Got a few questions about the SCT X3...

First off thanks to all of you for the advice and info that I've been able to find and use on the site. Now then...

I've been on the fence about a programmer for my 2010 FX4 5.4 for awhile now and have decided to go with SCT X3 tuned by 5 Star Tuning. My main question is...how does it work to order from 5 Star? I looked at the website last night and had the tuner in my cart, but there is no option to choose which tunes I want. Does someone email you for more info about the truck, tunes, mods, etc.?

Also, any advice on which tunes to pick? I live in Northern New Mexico with average elevations of about 7500 ft. I use my truck as a daily driver and occasionally tow a trailer for ranch use. I mostly want the truck to have a little more 'oomph' when I press the go pedal and to firm up the shifts

Do the tunes HAVE to be used with the respective octane levels? For example, can I used the 93 Performance tune with 87 octane gas or do I have to use strictly 93 octane? What happens if I change tunes and still have a different octane gas left in the tank?

Last question, will this programmer work with a MAC computer? The only computer we have is my wife's which is a MAC but haven't seen/heard much mentioned about using the X3 being used with anything but a PC.

Thanks in advance fro the advice.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Hi Sterling
The best way I've found to get answers to any questions is to contact Mike at:
mike@5startuning.com
That way you can be sure to get the straight skinny.
He is always helpful and wants you to have a good experience with his tunes, so don't be hesitant to contact him with any questions you may have.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5 star won't ship your tuner untill you fill out their vehicle information sheet, which they will send you a link for when you ask about tunes, which is .... http://www.5startuning.com/vehicle-info.php Here you can scroll down and find your motor and pick your ideal tunes. From there, they will tweak whatever you need for your personal taste. |I chose 87 eco, 87 performance, and 91 performance.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:38 AM

Sterling,

I would go the route of wahoo's suggestion. I ordered the same tuner for the same spec truck from Mike. He is incredibly helpful. I tried to contact him because I didn't know which shipping to select when purchasing from his site. I sent him that message at around midnight. I woke up the next morning with a response!!! Incredible. Told me to call him. I called him, he answered, another wonderful surprise. He'll ask you for your PCM code. If you've never had your PCM or TCM reprogrammed, he'll tell you where to get the code. If you've had them reprogrammed, he'll ship the programmer and have you plug it in to read the strategy code that has been set. Once he has this info, he'll put together the tunes you want and you'll have them very quickly. I had mine within hours (probably less, but can't remember exactly).

Not sure about the different octanes. I'm about to ask him that same question.

As for Mac compatibility, only if you can load Windows on your machine through boot camp or parallels. I ran into that problem as all I own are Macs. Had to have my wife bring home her work laptop. So you definitely need to see if you can make arrangements with a buddy or something. You need this to get the tunes onto your programmer.

I'll say that I have no experience with programmers prior to this purchase, but Mike has exceeded all expectations. I've emailed him repeatedly with questions and he always responds. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend his services. Hope this helps!

Old 07-12-2011, 12:41 PM
So I emailed Mike earlier today and am gonna go through with the order.

Right now I'm thinking of going with the 87 economy, 87 tow/performance and maybe the 93 tow/performance. Does the economy tune really make a difference in mpg or just smooth out shifts? Which tunes are you guys running and how do you like them? Any suggestions or 'must have' tunes?

Old 07-12-2011, 12:59 PM
glc
Received 768 Likes on 709 Posts
You cannot run a lower octane than what the tune is for without risking engine damage. Regardless of what tunes you choose, there is no guarantee whatsoever that your gas mileage will improve over stock.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:10 PM
I have only ran the 87 performance so far. In all honesty, it's probably gonna be the regular one I use. As soon as I get some time, I hope to test the difference in the 87 perf, and 87 econo. and even set to stock, and try that again for kicks. Then fill up with premium, and run my 91 performance for a test tank and have a feel. My largest intention in the beginning, was to adjust for tire size and get my speedo corrected. The gains in power and performance have been a fantastic bonus, and worth their weight in gold.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:02 AM
So most of the gas in my area is 86,88, and 91 octane...that rules out the 93 performance tune right? That means that I'll have to run the 87 tow/performance tune with the 88 octane gas correct?

Old 07-13-2011, 01:29 PM
I never heard of 86 octane. It's either 87, 89, or 91 in my neck f the woods. If 91 is your highest, the 93 tune would be redundant.... ask mike at 5star about the tune for 86, he might be able to adjust for it......

Old 07-13-2011, 03:55 PM
Well if I have to I'll run the 88 octane with the 87 tune, but yeah checked the gas stations last night and that's what they all had.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by wahoohunter
Hi Sterling
The best way I've found to get answers to any questions is to contact Mike at:
mike@5startuning.com
That way you can be sure to get the straight skinny.
He is always helpful and wants you to have a good experience with his tunes, so don't be hesitant to contact him with any questions you may have.
Sterling.....

This is the best advice U can get. I'd be willing to bet he can adjust for your 86 octane if you explained to him what you want.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Called Mike up earlier today and chatted with him for a bit. Ended up getting with 87 economy, 87 tow/performance, ad 91 tow/performance and he said it should be shipped out by tomorrow! Glad I took your guys' advice. Now I just gotta wait for the thing to come in. I'll keep you guys posted on the results.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:53 PM
glc
Received 768 Likes on 709 Posts
Originally Posted by canadianelbow
I never heard of 86 octane. It's either 87, 89, or 91 in my neck f the woods. If 91 is your highest, the 93 tune would be redundant.... ask mike at 5star about the tune for 86, he might be able to adjust for it......
He is in a high altitude area - you can run 86 on a 87 tune there. I've even seen 85 octane in Colorado and my stock truck runs fine on it with no pinging.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:10 AM
Right now, I am running the 87 performance tune and am very happy

Old 07-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Will this be available for ecoboost?

Quick Reply: 5 Star SCT X3 ordering questions