VMP SCT issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great news! tired again tonight and and fully worked! Before I tried tonight, i ended up reloading the newest firmware and tune revision. the entire load process took about 30-40 mins. I took it for a quick test drive and can really notice the diffrence in the trans shifting points, and the additional power! This is how it should have came directly from Ford.

Thanks for everyone's help with this!!

Old 12-07-2010, 08:48 PM
which tune did you do i have the 87 performance tune and can tell a little difference but would like to know someone that has run the 87 and 93 to see if its worth the money for another custom tune

Old 12-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congratulations that's awesome

Old 12-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by Timelessr1
Great news! tired again tonight and and fully worked! Before I tried tonight, i ended up reloading the newest firmware and tune revision. the entire load process took about 30-40 mins. I took it for a quick test drive and can really notice the diffrence in the trans shifting points, and the additional power! This is how it should have came directly from Ford.

Good to hear! And good you are happy with the tunes, I just got tunes from them not too long ago and I can tell the difference in shift points ETC, still cant to a WOT run due to ice !

Old 12-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Can you guys expand on the difference in the shift points? I know what they are. I tweaked the shift points on my Mustang with an Xcal 2. I'd like to hear a description of what has changed for you?

Old 12-08-2010, 03:15 AM
this same thing happened to me. i ended up with a dead truck and when i called sct, they had to rewrite a stock tune that i had to load onto the x3. also, i get alot of pinging with my vmp tune. ive been running it like this for about 8k miles, but is that normal?

Old 12-08-2010, 09:04 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by pappa smurf
this same thing happened to me. i ended up with a dead truck and when i called sct, they had to rewrite a stock tune that i had to load onto the x3. also, i get alot of pinging with my vmp tune. ive been running it like this for about 8k miles, but is that normal?
Put it back to stock and contact Justin......
No...its not normal

Old 12-08-2010, 09:12 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Timelessr1

Congrats....

Old 12-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by jhunt47
which tune did you do i have the 87 performance tune and can tell a little difference but would like to know someone that has run the 87 and 93 to see if its worth the money for another custom tune

I'm running the 87 Performance tune right now. I'm going to wait till spring to run the 93 Performance tune I got.

After the tune the shifting feels..more firm...alot less hunting and peeking for what gear to be in. It seems to the gear longer too, meaning it doenst downshift at the drop of a hat , b/c you still have power in the higher gear. Before the tune and running 35's if i was on a flat road, and gave it al ittle gas, it would downshift right away. now, it doenst, and i can lay on the gas al little more, and have the power there without the downshift, so in essence the trucks runs smoother. now i dont know if this is just in my head or not, but at highway speed, the truck feels like its jsut over all smoother...Before i had this slight bumping..kind of like what ppl describe as the driveline shutter...but a mild case....now after the tune...it seems ....to be gone.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by pappa smurf
As 88Racing said, pinging is NOT normal and you could be causing damage to your engine. It's possible the "spark knock detection" has been turned off in your tune (it can be done). Set your tune back to stock immediately and get the tune fixed.

- Jack

Old 12-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by tarajerame
if someone flashed the ECM with an updated Ford tune and didn't change the ECM sticker, then the code changed and the sticker didn't.

basically it means you don't have the same code inside the ECM as you thought, it's a possibility....
Interesting observation. On my other car, there is a service sticker under the hood from a Ford dealership. But the "fill in the blank" parts are so faded that I can't read them at all. The preloaded (canned) tune file from SCT did not work. However, I used the handheld device, pulled the strategy code from the PCM via the OBD II port, and a custom tune worked great. When I first called SCT with the problem of their preloaded tune not working on my car, their tech support answer was "I've never heard of that happening before." When I called the custom tuner, he told me that it happens all the time. Something about 1 generic tune not being able to work with all cars.

But back on topic with the OP, his tunes were written based on the strategy code he pulled from the PCM, not a sticker. It doesn't matter now, since he's got his custom tune file working.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by jhunt47
I have an X3 on order from Justin for my 2010 with the 4.6 3v. I have 87perf, 87tow, and 93perf coming. I'm going to be sure to run them all to see that they work ect fairly quickly when it comes it. I really thought about doing my two bottom tunes at 89 for a little more timing but not knowing for sure what it would do with gas mileage I didn't do it. If 93 actually gets me mileage to pay for it I might change my mind.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by chalybs
I have an X3 on order from Justin for my 2010 with the 4.6 3v. I have 87perf, 87tow, and 93perf coming. I'm going to be sure to run them all to see that they work ect fairly quickly when it comes it. I really thought about doing my two bottom tunes at 89 for a little more timing but not knowing for sure what it would do with gas mileage I didn't do it. If 93 actually gets me mileage to pay for it I might change my mind.
keep us posted

Old 04-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Arghhh.. I just tried to tune my truck with the VMP SCT and got error 1017 as well. I updated the tuner prior to trying. I'm on round 3. Problem is, pretty soon my battery will be too low and I'm doing it in my parking lot at work.

I also can't get my fan to shut off and had to pull the fuse.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:03 PM
I actually had a similar error and issue while changing my tune for larger tires on XCAL3 and the fans running non stop. I had the auto lights on even though the lights were off. This time I tried again and turned lights in plain old off. May be worth a try.

Quick Reply: VMP SCT issue?