2010 f150 and sct tuner - transmission jumps

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TRMN8TR
Who the hell is JMS?
i was told that they are the ones who helped design the tuners for sct...

Old 08-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slim10fx2
well they included the tune with it so no refund there.
Looks like you got what you paid for.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
well they included the tune with it so no refund there.

but i want to give them a chance for their tuner to make this right. however, if i have to pay for it then i will definitely go to VMP as you guys have been suggesting.

the way it seems to me is, they call it their custom tune but it really seems more like a arbitrary tune that they send out for 2010 f150s, maybe? idk because it obviously isnt a custom tune by any sense of the term as far as being made for me and my truck because they asked for no information from me other than my truck make model and year.
Wellsir - with this info it appears they ripped you off, if not flat lied to you.

At a MINIMUM, they need yer PCM's Box Code ( a.k.a. Catch Code) - sticker on the PCM - 4 alpha character string. From this they should be able to at least begin to infer the 7-digit HEX strategy code ( a.k.a calibration code, tune file software evision number). This value is read from the CM - yer handheld can do it.
EVERY custom tuner wort anythoing asks for this - some even send you the handheld first so you can read it and send them thr info - then they construct the tune file.

Without either, there is no way this is custom - they sold ya a bill of goods.

Try this: read yer Hex ( see the handheld's manual - it's online) and email that value to these guys. TELL them you demand a custom tune for this SPECIFIC strategy. YOUR strategy. There are several - actually hundreds across F150 model years.... it crucial for an optimum, safe, but responsive tune.

Good luck, sir.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 08-07-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:43 AM
i was told that they are the ones who helped design the tuners for sct...
Yeah - the packaging.

Note that they do not mention F150 specialization on their site. Yer truck ain't a diesel, nor a mustang - the tuning needs are different enough for this to be significant.

MGD

Old 08-07-2010, 02:09 PM
glc
Received 766 Likes on 708 Posts
You got a canned tune, not a custom tune. As said, you got what you paid for. You aren't going to get any satisfaction from them without the box and hex codes - if they even have someone there who is capable of writing a tune with that information.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:39 PM
thanks for the help guys... hopefully they will make it right when i speak with their tuner. if not i will be contacting VMP shortly afterwards, as mentioned earlier.

i have heard a lot of good things about these guys so maybe this has just been a misunderstanding with my salesperson. after all, they did give me a free dash scan monitor with the tuner... even though it doesnt work with my truck.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:46 PM
ok, i just spoke with their tuner and he is making me a custom tune as we speak. should be done in an hour and hopefully this fixes the problem. ill let you guys know.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:53 PM
ok, i just spoke with their tuner and he is making me a custom tune as we speak. should be done in an hour and hopefully this fixes the problem. ill let you guys know.
Great. You were able to give him the HEX calibration code, then?

Good luck, sir.

MGD

Old 08-09-2010, 09:03 PM
hope it works out and they fix this i would be worried about the hour they spend on it though seems that they would need alittle more time than that

Old 08-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by jhunt47
hope it works out and they fix this i would be worried about the hour they spend on it though seems that they would need alittle more time than that
yeah it took a bit longer than an hour but apparently the tuner got on the phone with someone with SCT and got the transmission issue resolved. he first sent me a test that just resolved the transmission issue and i gave it the OK. afterwards they sent me three custom tunes for free. i am more than happy now. they actually did everything in their power to make this right and even gave me a little compensation for my troubles in the form of free tunes. so you guys dont have to keep them on your "do not buy" list. granted, one person maybe didnt know what he was speaking with but the tuner sure did.

thanks for all of you guys giving me opinions about this.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:52 PM
yeah it took a bit longer than an hour but apparently the tuner got on the phone with someone with SCT and got the transmission issue resolved. he first sent me a test that just resolved the transmission issue and i gave it the OK. afterwards they sent me three custom tunes for free. i am more than happy now. they actually did everything in their power to make this right and even gave me a little compensation for my troubles in the form of free tunes. so you guys dont have to keep them on your "do not buy" list. granted, one person maybe didnt know what he was speaking with but the tuner sure did.

thanks for all of you guys giving me opinions about this.
That's great news!

(I wonder if they read this thread? )

I'll keep 'em on the list for just a weeee bit longer... I want you to drive yer truck for a few days issue-free first. And try all the tunes if possible.

What tunes did they send you?

Can I ask you to check to see if you have any accessible tranny parameters on the handheld? Just curious.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

MGD

Old 08-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
That's great news!

(I wonder if they read this thread? )

I'll keep 'em on the list for just a weeee bit longer... I want you to drive yer truck for a few days issue-free first. And try all the tunes if possible.

What tunes did they send you?

Can I ask you to check to see if you have any accessible tranny parameters on the handheld? Just curious.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

MGD
yeah i can try them all to help out for the forums... the sent me 91 octane performance, 93 octane perf, and 87 octane tow\economy. i am using 93 perf now. i will use it for a few days and then switch when i run out of gas

Old 08-10-2010, 01:49 PM
oh and the tuner, Monty, said that i could contact him if i had any issue and he would work it out for me. so im feeling pretty good about purchasing from them.

and i will check out the tranny options in just a few mins

Last edited by slim10fx2; 08-10-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:48 PM
ok, quick update... i was driving earlier and received error code P0605. used my device to get the code and contacted JMS. Monty, their tuner, said that this was a common code with 2010 f150s and that he would get me 3 new tunes that fix it. within three minutes he got me the new tunes and i am running the new 93 performance tune as we speak.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:44 PM
ok, quick update... i was driving earlier and received error code P0605. used my device to get the code and contacted JMS. Monty, their tuner, said that this was a common code with 2010 f150s and that he would get me 3 new tunes that fix it. within three minutes he got me the new tunes and i am running the new 93 performance tune as we speak.

Just curious if the new tunes have kept the P0605 code from coming back?

My edge programmer threw a couple of these and then my dealer claimed the PCM was corrupted and needed to be reformatted (a couple hundred bucks later) and I'm not going to reprogram my 2010 until I know that this issue is solved. I realize you're running an SCT tune which is different BTW

Quick Reply: 2010 f150 and sct tuner - transmission jumps