edge evo problem with cai

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by AntzFreshWhip
Ok. I get it today so hopefully when I get home I can hook it up and see what it's all about. I guess the 1st thing I should do when I get it is download Pegasus?
I won't hurt to download and install Pegasus, but you WILL NOT need it until your custom tunes are written. That application will put your custom tunes into the Gryphon.

When you get your Gryphon, all you need to do is this.
1. Mount it on the dash and run the OBDII cable down near the OBDII port.
2. Turn the ignition on - but do not start the truck!
3. Plug the Gryphon's OBDII cable into the OBDII port - the Gryphon's screen should light up and you should see your truck's hex code. Write that down so you can send it to PHP.
4. Push the <menu> button, select "Power Programming", choose Level 2, BYPASS the "Custom Options" selection this first time and let it complete the programming session. It will take about 15 seconds to complete.
5. Drive your truck and enjoy its new "feel".
- Jack

Old 11-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You'll be fine. I had an 01 with the 5.4, CAI and a programmer and I didnt have any trouble at all.
Funny thing is one of my company trucks is an 04 with a 5.4 and CAI and we've put 200k miles on it and never had any problems.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by cstanek
To be clear, the problem is not the combination of a CAI and a programmer.The problem is the combination of a CAI with an 04 or 05 5.4 engine.
To be clear, you are wrong. Any change, no matter what application, to the MAF sensor needs to be tuned.

Based on your [wrong] information, that would mean the JLT intake and my truck doesn't need to be tuned, since it is not a 04 or 05.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by i.ride.suzuki
To be clear, you are wrong. Any change, no matter what application, to the MAF sensor needs to be tuned.

Based on your [wrong] information, that would mean the JLT intake and my truck doesn't need to be tuned, since it is not a 04 or 05.
i agree. its like the maf sensor would need to be re-learned in order to work 100% more efficient .

Old 11-10-2009, 07:13 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
^^^ you two, wow, just wow, I have nothing nice to say so I'm not gonna say anything

Old 11-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
^^^ you two, wow, just wow, I have nothing nice to say so I'm not gonna say anything
???wat u talkin bout? all i agreed with him on was re-tuning the sensors..

Old 11-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Yes, the 2004+ F150s are more susceptible to maf housing changes to create lean conditions but it's the same principle with all of these trucks that run ODBII systems. I wouldn't want to run it for an extended period of time. Besides, you're not making full use of the potential of the cai without a tune.

Originally Posted by tarajerame
What do you mean? i.ride.suzuki is exactly right.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by FordRacer2005
Yes, the 2004+ F150s are more susceptible to maf housing changes to create lean conditions but it's the same principle with all of these trucks that run ODBII systems. I wouldn't want to run it for an extended period of time. Besides, you're not making full use of the potential of the cai without a tune.

What do you mean? i.ride.suzuki is exactly right.
yep...thank you...

Old 11-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Originally Posted by i.ride.suzuki

Originally Posted by AntzFreshWhip
i agree. its like the maf sensor would need to be re-learned in order to work 100% more efficient .
The point I was making was that it isn't the combination of a programmer and a CAI that can be a problem; it's the CAI. Like I stated above, the 04 and 05 5.4L engines come from the factory in a near-lean condition, so adding a CAI to those engines can "push it over the edge" into a fully lean condition, which can potentially cause knocking and detonation. I never said that a CAI on a non-04/05 engine shouldn't be tuned or that benefits wouldn't be realized. In fact, I didn't specifically mention any years other than 04 and 05 because, based on what I understand, those are the only years where leanness is a problem.

Originally Posted by cstanek
To be clear, the problem is not the combination of a CAI and a programmer. The problem is the combination of a CAI with an 04 or 05 5.4 engine. Ford engineered those engines to run in a nearly lean condition from the factory, so adding a CAI to this scenario pushes it over the edge. Adding a programmer like the Evo doesn't help, but it also doesn't (significantly) hurt. The solution, like has been mentioned many other times, is to get a custom tune to account for the increased airflow.
Originally Posted by Bluejay
First, you should not have the lean problem. It's possible, but not likely. The main problem is with 2004-2005 5.4s.

Level one is just a shifting tune, no additional power. Level 2 is a towing tune, a lot more power in the lower end. Good for towing and around town. level 3 is your high performance tune and really the one you want to play with.

Keep in mind that you do not get the full benefit of the CAI with and Edge's canned tunes. You need a custom tune for that. The Edge program is written for a stock intake.
Originally Posted by justinj702
im getting a cai in the next few weeks and also getting a edge evo programmer. ive seen a lot of people say that if you have a cai and get the programmer you will run into problems but that was with 04 and up trucks.

will this happen with a 2001 and will i get the hp and torque from the tuner if i dont use the performance level and just use the 1st and 2nd levels?

Old 11-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Sorry to somewhat hijack this thread, but I have an Edge Evolution related question. '08 5.4 S Crew Lariat.

I'm running the level 3 performance tune. Everything seems to be working great except for one thing. The speedometer calibration doesn't seem to be making any difference. Every time I try to re-program it and input the correct tire size for my 31-inch tires, it doesn't save it and therefore there's no change. Even if I return to stock and start the whole process all over again, the computer isn't storing the new tire size.

I must be doing something wrong but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

And just for everyone's information, I'm running a K&N intake with zero issues.
:-)

Tony

Old 11-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Global Moderator &

See my response about this in the other thread, Tony. If you have 31" tires, I'd try a Tire Size (TS) of 2400mm. This would be the circumference in millimeters with about 3% squish. Make sure your Gear Ratio (GR) is set correctly too.

- Jack

Old 11-17-2009, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
See my response about this in the other thread, Tony. If you have 31" tires, I'd try a Tire Size (TS) of 2400mm. This would be the circumference in millimeters with about 3% squish. Make sure your Gear Ratio (GR) is set correctly too.

- Jack
I did, thank you. Why in the world would my GR be off? Heck...I don't even know what my GR is, nor did I think I would NEED to know. LOL

And BTW, I have 35-inch tires, not 31. My bad.

Tony

Old 11-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony407
I did, thank you. Why in the world would my GR be off? Heck...I don't even know what my GR is, nor did I think I would NEED to know. LOL

Tony
because it has been known to happen that the default is not what you really have. I had that problem.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Tony407

Tony
OK, Tony -

For 35" tires, your diameter is 35 x 25.4 = 889mm. The unloaded circumference is 889 x pi = 2793mm (rounded to the nearest mm). Accounting for 3% "squish" you would enter 2793 x 0.97 = 2709mm for TS. (This is much higher than the "default" value you're seeing).

The Gear Ratio (GR) is something else you have to verify and reset if necessary anytime you open the custom options menu. You can find YOUR GR in the VIN sticker on your drivers door under the word "axle" as a code. Here are the codes:
19 = 3.55 open
H9 = 3.55 LSD
26 = 3.73 open
B6 = 3.73 LSD
27 = 3.31 open
18 = 3.08 open
25 = 4.10 open
B5 = 4.10 LSD
Mine is "B6", so I make sure it says 3.73.

Hope this helps.

- Jack

Quick Reply: edge evo problem with cai