Tranny Specific Question for Bill at PHP...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Justin's tunes are top notch as well. You'll have no worries.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by ASEMechanic
Justin's tunes are top notch as well. You'll have no worries.
Agreed! As a "Moderator", I have to support our site sponsors. Justin Starkey has an outstanding reputation in this forum as well. You are in good hands with VMP.

- Jack

Old 08-16-2009, 09:25 PM
To a fair extent, handling the shifting electronically vs. mechanically (ie. using a valve body or "shift kit" programming plate) will achieve pretty much the same results. The nice thing about electronically handling the shifting is that it is easily modified and reversible. Mechanically modified transmissions aren't so flexible. Since the average power gains on an F150 aren't going to be anywhere near the gains we see on the diesels (30 HP vs. 130 HP), there is little danger of exceeding the design limits and capabilities of the factory transmission components. With this in mind, electronically controlling the transmission parameters will work just fine.

Now if you make a change that significantly changes the power output of the engine, then a mechanical modification may be preferable. However, if you look at the Roush S/C kits, you'll notice that even with the high power output of the engines they still handle all the shifting electronically and even those applications have no problem handling the shifting.

In regards to shift firmness, it's all about feel and comfort. The custom options were designed more to tailor the shifting to a users tastes and comfort zone. If +8 gives you the "feel" that you like, then that's what you go with. Some folks prefer a firmer shift and will go up to 15+ on the shifts. Some folks like the softer shifting and either leave it alone or even go negative on the firmness. It's strictly personal preference.

Take care.

I have just put my gryphon on and i have notice on stage 2 when when i am wot it is jumpiing into second gear. is there something i can do to prevent this ??

Old 08-16-2009, 11:25 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by zerohour2782
I have just put my gryphon on and i have notice on stage 2 when when i am wot it is jumpiing into second gear. is there something i can do to prevent this ??
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are asking. The transmission WILL shift up as you reach each RPM shift point at WOT. What is it that you are trying to prevent?

- Jack

Old 08-16-2009, 11:34 PM
[QUOTE=JackandJanet;3846298]I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are asking. The transmission WILL shift up as you reach each RPM shift point at WOT. What is it that you are trying to prevent?

- Jack[/QUOTE

It is not shifting very smoove at all, it still seems like it wants to be in first gear, then a slight lunge forward and it shifts to second, i am wondering if i change the firmness will this help my problem

Last edited by zerohour2782; 08-16-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:45 PM
Global Moderator &

[QUOTE=zerohour2782;3846310]
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are asking. The transmission WILL shift up as you reach each RPM shift point at WOT. What is it that you are trying to prevent?

- Jack[/QUOTE

It is not shifting very smoove at all, it still seems like it wants to be in first gear, then a slight lunge forward and it shifts to second, i am wondering if i change the firmness will this help my problem
OK, maybe the shift is "hanging"? If you go into "Custom Options", what is the 1-2 shift RPM? And then, what is the MAX RPM setting? Max RPM needs to be at least 400 above any of the WOT shift points to allow the shift to complete properly. (In my experience, it needs to be even more above the 3-4 shift point.

I wouldn't change the firmness yet, check out these two RPM settings first.

- Jack

Old 08-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Did I read correctly that Bill said "certian oil filters" can cause a problem? If so which ones are they?

Old 08-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by ab46501
Did I read correctly that Bill said "certian oil filters" can cause a problem? If so which ones are they?
Yeah I read that and first thing that popped in my head was "What oil filters?!?!"

I hope Bill can update us on the brands he has heard of doing such a thing.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Fix your quotes, people. Makes for better internet viewing.

I'd like to know the answer to the oil filter reference as well.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Global Moderator &

He may not know the brand or brands. My guess is though, that they are not Motorcraft. If they were, I think he would have told us. And, I would think Ford would have had to foot the bill for repairs.

- Jack

Old 08-18-2009, 02:06 AM
I was not informed as to the specific brand of filters that were causing the issue, but the two customers I had talked to had BOTH indicated they had their oil changed at Walmart. (Correct me if I'm wrong, Jack... in regards to CaFordDude's truck.) As for my dealer friend, he didn't indicate to me which filter it was either. My first inclination is to find out what filters Walmart uses and NOT use those. Other than that, I can't say. I get my oil changes done at the dealer so I never worry about it. They break it, they fix it.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Global Moderator &

I was not informed as to the specific brand of filters that were causing the issue, but the two customers I had talked to had BOTH indicated they had their oil changed at Walmart. (Correct me if I'm wrong, Jack... in regards to CaFordDude's truck.) As for my dealer friend, he didn't indicate to me which filter it was either. My first inclination is to find out what filters Walmart uses and NOT use those. Other than that, I can't say. I get my oil changes done at the dealer so I never worry about it. They break it, they fix it.
On that note, I'd stay away from ALL the "Quick Lube" shops. I used to change my own oil, with high quality filters (usually OEM), but it got to be too much of a hassle getting rid of the used oil. I didn't want to pour it into a hole in the ground and I didn't want to put it out with the trash, so I had to find someplace willing to take it. Not everyone does.

And, I agree with Bill, if a dealer breaks your truck, he gets to fix it. Good luck getting someone at "Greasy Dan's" to do that.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
On that note, I'd stay away from ALL the "Quick Lube" shops. I used to change my own oil, with high quality filters (usually OEM), but it got to be too much of a hassle getting rid of the used oil. I didn't want to pour it into a hole in the ground and I didn't want to put it out with the trash, so I had to find someplace willing to take it. Not everyone does.

And, I agree with Bill, if a dealer breaks your truck, he gets to fix it. Good luck getting someone at "Greasy Dan's" to do that.
That's why when I do go to my local oil/lube place I always take my own filter.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by StoveTop
Could it be we just had a bad tranny and the failure was not due to the EDGE? I REALLY hope to find out more about how tranny characteristics are affected by the EDGE.
Just looking at your truck, if you actually needed that huge lift and tires, I'm not surprised it broke a transmission! My truck (2wd) would just spin down in the mud, (and save the trans) but yours will probably still plough through, and leave you looking for a bigger mud hole!

Last edited by chester8420; 08-19-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:13 AM
[QUOTE=JackandJanet;3846331]
Originally Posted by zerohour2782

OK, maybe the shift is "hanging"? If you go into "Custom Options", what is the 1-2 shift RPM? And then, what is the MAX RPM setting? Max RPM needs to be at least 400 above any of the WOT shift points to allow the shift to complete properly. (In my experience, it needs to be even more above the 3-4 shift point.

I wouldn't change the firmness yet, check out these two RPM settings first.

- Jack
okay i have changed the settings and have gave it a few days to see and it is still jumping ugh

Quick Reply: Tranny Specific Question for Bill at PHP...