New Edge User with 305/65-18's (A few comments and questions)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I verified my speedo against a GPS today and my speedo was reading 2 mph faster at 100 km/h than the GPS. Pretty darn close. The faster I went the greater the spread became. So, that's about a 2% difference.
The current tire size programmed into the Edge was 2617mm. I added roughly 2% bringing the tire size up to 2660mm. I just got home and plugged the new number in. We'll see how she looks on my way to work in the morning.

I'm just under a quarter tank now, so after tomorrow I'll put some fresh high octane gas in and try out level 3.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:10 AM
I thought that increasing the tire size on the Edge would bring the speedometer down. It seemed to do the opposite. My speedo was off even more. This morning at just after 5am I had the entire highway to myself on a Saturday morning so that allowed me to stop on the shoulder of the road to make my adjustments. Long story short, 2570mm was the magic number. Now my speedo is bang on for 305/65-18 tires from 40 km/h right up to 130 km/h.

I also stopped on the way to top up with Sunoco Ultra 94 octane fuel. The only problem is from the gas station to work was only about 2 km's, if that, so at this point I'll reserve judgement on level 3, although it sure seemed to have some extra kick for the few times I got into the throttle. The first time I got into it I noticed a slight ping (timing bumped to +2), but the 87 octane was still working it's way through the lines. I gave it a couple of more full throttle shots in the parking lot at work and didn't notice any pinging, so it should be good now. Those full throttle shots in the parking lot sure felt good!

Old 02-28-2009, 09:25 AM
After doing some reading on here, did I not calibrate my speedo properly? It seems that some are saying I should match the Edge to the GPS. I matched the GPS to my speedo.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by last5oh_302
After doing some reading on here, did I not calibrate my speedo properly? It seems that some are saying I should match the Edge to the GPS. I matched the GPS to my speedo.
BTW, I didn't compare what the speed was with the Edge. I guess I should put that reading up on the Edge.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
BTW, I didn't compare what the speed was with the Edge. I guess I should put that reading up on the Edge.
I guess it is a matter of preference. Since the GPS is considered correct, the truck speedo will always be 2 mph faster. I wanted my Edge display to be accurate as that is the speedo I use. So I synced those, and my truck speedo is about 2 mph faster at 65. You can sync the truck and the Edge would then be about 2 mph slow. Again, which will you be using. I keep the digital mph in the upper left quad of the screen so I can see it at all times.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I guess it is a matter of preference. Since the GPS is considered correct, the truck speedo will always be 2 mph faster. I wanted my Edge display to be accurate as that is the speedo I use. So I synced those, and my truck speedo is about 2 mph faster at 65. You can sync the truck and the Edge would then be about 2 mph slow. Again, which will you be using. I keep the digital mph in the upper left quad of the screen so I can see it at all times.
I couldn't stand it so I went back out. There's a good steady pull on level 3 btw. I like it so far but I need a little more seat time. I was too busy concentrating on the Edge, GPS and my speedo to play much with the level 3 tune.

Anyway, I bumped the tires to 2592. This seems to be the magic number. I converted the GPS over to MPH to match up with the Edge and locked the cruise on 60 mph. Both the edge and GPS were perfectly matched. Then I switched the GPS back over to kilometers. My speedo from what I could tell with the naked eye was reading 1 km faster (easier to read km/h on metric speedo due to the larger numbers), which I can live with. It was so little that in most cases one would say the speedo and GPS were bang on in metric.
After the reading I've done, I expected to speedo to off my more.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Hey Bluejay; it seems like level 3 is a lot torquier on the highway. With very little throttle and without the tranny having to kick down, the truck seems to accelerate better. I can see this being a fuel saver on the highway.
There's definitely a difference from level 2 to level 3. It has a wider power band throughout the rpm's.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Global Moderator &

Hey Bluejay; it seems like level 3 is a lot torquier on the highway. With very little throttle and without the tranny having to kick down, the truck seems to accelerate better. I can see this being a fuel saver on the highway.
There's definitely a difference from level 2 to level 3. It has a wider power band throughout the rpm's.
My truck felt like a hot rod on Level 3 compared to stock. Makes it a lot more fun to drive.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:40 PM
My truck felt like a hot rod on Level 3 compared to stock. Makes it a lot more fun to drive.
Yeah, I can't say I'm experiencing a difference to that degree, but there's definitely a nice difference. Our trucks are different as well. I think mine has a few pounds on yours, as well as larger tires, so the seat of the pants difference will likely be more noticeable with your truck, plus, as you mentioned, your truck was a dog when it was stock. I never had any complaints about the stock power. I'm still very happy with the Edge, so don't get me wrong. There's most definitely a performance difference, and all the changes and things you can monitor with the Edge are an added bonus. I think it was a great investment and I'm happy.
Perhaps I'll consider sending it into Bill one of these days.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:43 PM
Global Moderator &

What size tires do you have? What gears?

Glad your satisfied. I would hate to do without mine.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:47 PM
What size tires do you have? What gears?

Glad your satisfied. I would hate to do without mine.
3.73's and the tire is almost 34" (33.7"). Each wheel/tire combo is just shy of 100lb's.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:04 PM
Global Moderator &

3.73's and the tire is almost 34" (33.7"). Each wheel/tire combo is just shy of 100lb's.
I have 3.55s and when I have my 305/50/20s on, they are about 32 1/2.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:12 PM
I have 3.55s and when I have my 305/50/20s on, they are about 32 1/2.
I should add that as far as the shifting goes, there's a huge difference. As for the power; yes, there is some.
My truck also weighs in at 5700+lb's curb weight, bone dry. Add a tank of fuel, trailer tow package, running boards, a much heavier wheel/tire combo etc etc, and we're WELL over 6000lb's, especially with me in it. :o

Now that I have the Edge, I wouldn't want to go back either.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:18 PM
This doesn't mean a whole lot, but stock, my truck would beat my buddy's 1990 Camaro with the 305 in it. I realize that isn't a fast car by any means, but we're also talking about a heavy 4x4 truck here, bone stock. So it did well before the programmer.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Global Moderator &

There is one thing that has been in back of my mind that I have not mentioned. My Edge was an early model and I never updated it. I refused to do so as it was working great and I have always been one to say not to fix it if it isn't broken. Back when so many guys were getting Edges and some havng issues, there were guys updating just because an update was available. Well, the majority of updates were to fix a known problem, not to make a good thing better. I recall some guys saying that their unit was less responsive after updating and asking if they could go back to a previous program before the update. There may be nothing to it, but it could be that they were detuned a bit. If so, that would be something "fixed" with the custom tune.

Quick Reply: New Edge User with 305/65-18's (A few comments and questions)