Programmer as a first mod?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Programmer as a first mod?

I'm thinking about doing one of these for my 03 4.6 truck. Motor wise its stock. I didn't know if I could try to squeeze 3 or 4 mpg more out of it from buying one of these or not. Here in a couple weeks, I'm gonna do some kind of exhaust, dynomax bullets more than likely. Maybe a k&n drop in filter. What do you guys think?

Old 02-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by ThadLS
I'm thinking about doing one of these for my 03 4.6 truck. Motor wise its stock. I didn't know if I could try to squeeze 3 or 4 mpg more out of it from buying one of these or not. Here in a couple weeks, I'm gonna do some kind of exhaust, dynomax bullets more than likely. Maybe a k&n drop in filter. What do you guys think?
Those are the mods I have on my 5.4. Works for me.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Those are the mods I have on my 5.4. Works for me.
So you think its worth the money to try to up the gas mileage? What site has the better programmers at an affordable price? I would like to get one soon.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
So you think its worth the money to try to up the gas mileage? What site has the better programmers at an affordable price? I would like to get one soon.
No, I think it will take a long time to pay for itself if ever, in fuel savings. But, it will save some and it will make your truck much more fun to drive.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:08 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
your planned mods, the "gotts intake" and efans should get you where you want mileage wise

Old 02-10-2009, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
your planned mods, the "gotts intake" and efans should get you where you want mileage wise
What are efans and the "gotts intake"? I'm new to the truck world. Links to either?

Old 02-10-2009, 07:16 PM
What are efans and the "gotts intake"? I'm new to the truck world. Links to either?
Oh well since your new, if your at the top of the page, you come about 4" down and 4" from the right hand side, there you will find the "search" option

Old 02-10-2009, 07:49 PM
I dont think your going to see 3-4 mpg more maybe 1 but you will like driving your truck alot more.I did the gotts to my 04 heritage 4.6 with k+n drop and a cat back and the truck did feel stronger I didnt see much more mpg if any.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by 1st4x4
Oh well since your new, if your at the top of the page, you come about 4" down and 4" from the right hand side, there you will find the "search" option
Believe me, I've read quite a bit before I made an account on here. Like I said, I got the truck in October so I've been reading many hours before making any posts.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Believe me, I've read quite a bit before I made an account on here. Like I said, I got the truck in October so I've been reading many hours before making any posts.
ThadLS, the Search function in this forum is not exactly user friendly. Here's a link to the "Gott's Mod": https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...take-pics.html

I recently did a conversion based on this to my 2005. It seems to work just fine. And, welcome to the forum!

- Jack

Old 02-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
ThadLS, the Search function in this forum is not exactly user friendly. Here's a link to the "Gott's Mod": https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...take-pics.html

I recently did a conversion based on this to my 2005. It seems to work just fine. And, welcome to the forum!

- Jack

Thanks for the info. And I agree about the searching. Not gonna talk bad about the site because EVERY site thats vehicle specific has a lot to weed through. Maybe someone could do a write about programmers, exhaust, and what not and make it a sticky?

Old 02-10-2009, 10:55 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Thad, I was NOT bad-mouthing the site. It provides us with a valuable service, and , I appreciate it.

We DO live in a society though where we can respectfully point out what we think might be deficiencies in things. The people responsible for those things have choices too: they can ignore them, explain them, or make changes that remove the parts we find lacking. Some things really cannot be fixed, using current technology, and I'm fine with that, especially if it's explained. If I'm ignored, I can "vote with my feet". If something gets changed for the better, that's cool too.

But, wow! The second half of your comment? Do you have any idea the amount of work it would entail? And, how in the world can you make it objective (unbiased)? This whole forum is about programmers! Read through it and start to draw your own conclusions based on our biased remarks! I know it's a lot to wade through, but I don't see any other way.

And, there's a forum that's devoted to exhaust mods too. Same advice for that one if the subject interests you.

But, glad I was able to help you find out about the Gott's mod. It seems to be a pretty easy, low cost, way to improve the intake without introducing bad side effects.

- Jack

Old 02-10-2009, 10:59 PM
Hey man, I have a awesome programmer for sale if your interested. It is in the 97-03 for sale section..

Its a Diablo Predator!

Old 02-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Thad, I was NOT bad-mouthing the site. It provides us with a valuable service, and , I appreciate it.

We DO live in a society though where we can respectfully point out what we think might be deficiencies in things. The people responsible for those things have choices too: they can ignore them, explain them, or make changes that remove the parts we find lacking. Some things really cannot be fixed, using current technology, and I'm fine with that, especially if it's explained. If I'm ignored, I can "vote with my feet". If something gets changed for the better, that's cool too.

But, wow! The second half of your comment? Do you have any idea the amount of work it would entail? And, how in the world can you make it objective (unbiased)? This whole forum is about programmers! Read through it and start to draw your own conclusions based on our biased remarks! I know it's a lot to wade through, but I don't see any other way.

And, there's a forum that's devoted to exhaust mods too. Same advice for that one if the subject interests you.

But, glad I was able to help you find out about the Gott's mod. It seems to be a pretty easy, low cost, way to improve the intake without introducing bad side effects.

- Jack

I didn't mean to sound rude or anything if I came off like that. I just meant it as a thread for the pros/cons of each programmer, maybe the ease of use for a noob or whatever. As far as the Gott's mod, is this basically just a piece of pipe that goes into the fender to get colder air? I have yet to mess with anything under the hood except for replacing a couple pulleys and a coil pack that went bad from a mudding adventure :P

Old 02-11-2009, 07:24 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

like jackandjanet already posted here is the link the "gotts intake" https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...take-pics.html

the principle behind the gotts intake mod is obvious if you read the write up I did http://www.fordf150.net/articles/idx...ification.html it's not just air it's more air available to the engine

e-fans are electric fans you can find kits all over the place or make your own

the gryphon, xcal2, xcal3, diablo and the sniper are very popular tuning devices that can yield decent gains if handled by the right tuner however which device is best for you is on you to decide

Last edited by stoffer; 02-11-2009 at 07:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Programmer as a first mod?